Sixline wrasse

Mekaeel

Reaction score
hey crew.ive been thinking about introducing a sixline wrasse to my new cube.i have one in my 6ft tank and really love these guys.now my major concern is that the cube is bare bottom.will it be just cruel to introduce it to a barebottom system or will it be fine with just the LR to hide and sleep in?
cool

seank

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
Think barebottom is a good idea, at least you'll see him 24/7. Unlike mine that I see maybe once a week...LoL

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
You could work around it by putting a small container of sand into the tank. Put him in last though, they do become aggresive when established.

palmerc

Chromis
Reaction score
Agree with the aggressiveness. Mien fights with any new additions that are similar size and shape incl. fire gobies, hawkfish, royal gramma.

I've had mine nearly 2 1/2 years, for mosty of that time I had a DSB in my display, but he never buried himself, now I have been BB for six months and he still swims around like always.

Submariner

Hawkfish
Reaction score
sixline wrasse (Diurnal)

The Sixline Wrasse sleep at nite and are active during the day.
another interesting thing about the Sixline Wrasse is they sleep in a kind of cocoon made from mucus, it is thought that the cocoon protects them from predators while they sleep by hiding there scent.

Tridan

Wrasse
Reaction score
Mekaeel i have a sixline in my system but then im half bare half substrate i have just sloped the substrate and contained it with a shelf under my rock work. It works fine as the substrate is pretty fine and most detritus just naturally rolls to the fronts of the tank.

Tridan

Wrasse
Reaction score
It took a while to settle hence my help is needed thread but its cool now have filtered the really fine particulate matter out with a canister filter full of floss and its fine.

Tridan

Wrasse
Reaction score
Chatted to a mate of mine in pe today he reckons that most wrasse do not bury themselves in the wild to sleep, in the wild its more of a protection thing.

Hiding from predators.

Do not know how true this is as i have no means to varify it but thought i might aswell pass on the info.