Sixline attacks Mandarin Gobi?

Reaction score
So after living peacefully together for 1.5months my sixline has spent half the night attacking my mandarin gobi.....???? I have no clue what could have brought this on......the wife and i took turns for abt an hour shooing the sixline away from him cos he was actually nipping, pushing and chasing the poor guy....funny enough they are both abt the same size and the mandarin has always minded his own business.....?

Is this common for the sixline wrasse to be aggressive....???
do i remove the sixline or the gobi if it gets to that??
any thoughts?

Reaction score
put the sixline in our sump for a few days, let the mandarin settle again. I've heard sixline are a bit aggressive, but you could get lucky with a calm one. If it was originally ok it was possibly due to one fish being new in the tank and its territory not marked out yet, is the sixline new?

Reaction score
nope...they have both been together for a while...and the sixline was smaller until of late than the mandarin ? btw no sump so might have to remove altogether

Reaction score
Sixlines are very territorial little characters when they settle in, they also compete with similar foods to a mandarin goby so doubt if it`ll accept unless you re-arrange the rockwork.

Reaction score
henk is it an on off type of thing or is the attacking constant.....if this happens once in a while then i guess i might keep the guy...if he cant play nice then out he goes

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Agree with Henk, my 6line also nipped at my Manderin now and then - never hurt him though and looked like it didn't bother the Manderin too much :)

Reaction score
hehe i dont think he can cause damage to your mandarin...my six line bliksem bites my mandarin everyday for the last two years yet both are healthy till now....those mandarins are tough as long as your six line isnt biting his fins it's fine....(i assume he goes to bite him next to the gills,this is like an armour sheild for the mandarin which probabl just stand there with his fins raised

Reaction score
yup he been biting near the gills.....hope ur right and poor guy survives the week

Reaction score
The sixline is the main reason I don't have a mandarin. They both compete for the same food supply and the Sixline is way better at it.

I think a mandarin is going to struggle to compete with a sixline unless you can get him to eat frozen food.

Reaction score
mandarin?frozen food?highly unlikely...warr i think if you have enough live rock you'll do just fine...i hardly feed much and have both thriving for over two years in my +-700l system.and yes my six line was added first

Reaction score
mandarin?frozen food?highly unlikely...warr i think if you have enough live rock you'll do just fine...i hardly feed much and have both thriving for over two years in my +-700l system.and yes my six line was added first
Very true, not many people can get this beautiful creature to feed on prepared food.

Also agree 700L system should have enough pods for these two, but Shiks has a 180L system ;)

Reaction score
Very true, not many people can get this beautiful creature to feed on prepared food.

Also agree 700L system should have enough pods for these two, but Shiks has a 180L system ;)
ok 180l is way too small to feed even a small mandarin...you'd have to supplement heavy with live brine shrimp and pods etc which is too much work in the long run...warr i think you should get one.

Reaction score
...warr i think you should get one.
I want one so badly, my only concern is I have 3 wrasses - 6-Line, Golden and Adorned and they hunt pods day/night. Plus I also have a sleeper goby which canes the substrate as well.

But as life changes in my tank, a dragonet is definitely on my wishlist :)

Reaction score
ok i've got me a sixline and i'm super keen on the mandarin, got kak loads of pods. u think my LR can sustain both the fellas. 4ft, 400l total sys volume

Reaction score
ok i've got me a sixline and i'm super keen on the mandarin, got kak loads of pods. u think my LR can sustain both the fellas. 4ft, 400l total sys volume
Should do, but make sure you don't add any more pod eaters ;)

Also keep swapping rock between sump and display, this will keep the pod population going.