Urgent help needed Six Stripe Wrasser harrassing Mandarin

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Forbes, 10 Mar 2014.

1. Forbes

Forbes

Hi Guys,
    I bought a Mandarin from my LFS yesterday, and let it get used to the water overnight in a basket before introducing it into the tank this morning. I noticed that the Six Line Wrasser that is in the tank has been attacking it.
    Looking on the net, it mentioned that the Wrasser could act aggressively to slow moving or easily intimidated fish. I phoned my LFS (who happens to be a sponsor) and told them the problem. I was told to turn off the lights as that had a calming effect, and to feed the fish, which I did.
    As soon as the lights came on again this afternoon the Wrasser was at it again.
    Will this problem go away, or do I need to get rid of one of the fish, and if so which one. Will the Wrasser be a problem for other fish I may want to put into the tank.
    Advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

give it another day or two

Sixline is currently showing the mandarin who is boss. They should sort it out. Just check that the sixline does not peck the fins of the mandarin

4. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, this is the second Mandarin in three days, I put the first one in on Friday evening, (the stock only arrived in the LFS on Thursday morning), and it hid from the start and did not move around the tank much. I don't know who had a go at it first, but on Saturday it was lying on the bottom of the tank and the cleaner shrimp was having a go at it's tail fins. I separated it from the other fish, but it never survived the night. I thought it may have been the effects of the shipping.
    I will check that the Sixline is not pecking the fins of the Mandarine, if it is I will separate them and post a reply.

5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Did you ask if the mandarin was eating prepared food or does your tank have enough critters for it to feed on if it's not eating prepared food? If no to either of the questions, I would suggest returning it to your LFS. I know that this has nothing to do with your current situation, merely a suggestion...

6. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

I asked about feeding when I bought it and was told that what I am feeding the fish and corals at the moment is enough and they don't need anything else.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

And you are feeding your tank live foods... Tempted to do a bit of lfs bashing, but wont, as I wasn't peivy to the entire conversation.
    Reality: simple case of both the wrasse and the madarin will be competing for the same (assumingly limited) food source.
    The wrasse knows competition when he / she sees it. Simple solution: eliminate.
    Size of tank?
    Age of tank?
    Quantity of liverock?
    Running a remote refugium or dsb? Again, if yes: age and size?
    Current fish population?
    If the fish only came in to lfs yesterday, what made you believe that it was eating prepared foods?
    Or, did you specifically ask if it was eating prepared foods...
    Unless you have multiple tanks, I see you were still putting a tank together a month ago?
    Mandarins need a mature and well established system to really thrive.
    Highly recommended to rather return the mandarin to your lfs.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2014
  8. ozzie

ozzie

Six line wrasse can be aggressive one of the last fish u should add to the tank. They can be know to attack new introduced fish. Other lesson is when u see new live stock pay a deposit and let the fish be properly quarantined first. This annoys me like you cant believe plus the industry shop importers should no better...

9. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

To answer questions, tank RSM250, been running for just over three months. Live rock approx 30kg, fish population 11. I did not ask about prepared foods, we went to the LFS to buy coral, and not fish. When my wife saw the Mandarin she liked it, so we asked our man if there would be a problem putting it in the tank with the other livestock I have in it, and we were told it would not be a problem. Feeding was not mentioned, they know I am only feeding Reef Pearls and Frozen Brine Shrimp once a day on their advice.
    All my coral and fish with the exception of the Royal Grammar have been bought from this particular LFS, and I rely on their advice after having not had a marine tank for fifteen years.

I have no problem taking the fish back if it is the best solution, however I am concerned that I may not be feeding correctly. Picture of the tank attached for reference.
    Regards,

RSM250-01.jpg

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

tank is too small for a sixline and a mandarin. As irie ivan said, in that size tank there will only be enough food for one of them. The sixline, being faster will win. Even if he accepts the mandarin in a day or 2. Rather keep the sixline, as their will not be enough food for the mandarin in the long run. And its easier to get the sixline to eat flakes and other frozen food than the mandarin. OK, if mandarin accepts flakes and frozen food, it is a much nicer looking fish.

11. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated I will take the Mandarin back.

12. Zandy

Zandy

Simply untrue... Madarin's are slow eating fish which will most likely die of starvation if all other fish manage to eat before them. A supply of fresh hatched brine shrimp will help the mandarin as they can go and hide from the other fish

13. Zandy

Zandy

I notice a starfish in there..??? I would suggest you do some reseach on them as well. Your tank is 3 months old and will not have sufficient "food" in the aragonite to sustain the starfish. Untimatly the starfish will die of starvation. It's recommended that starfish just be added to very mature systems which can provide the source of food starfish live on... Having a starfish, wrasse and mandarin in a 250RSM spells "hunger" for all 3

14. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Or just feed the starfish..... and the sun coral

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
  15. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

Seems like I am getting bad advice all round, the star fish was recommended by my man at my LFS. The tank was running for about two years before I bought it, the previous owner moved the live rock into his new tank, and left the aragonite, I did a water change at his suggestion and added the live rock.

16. Zandy

Zandy

How is your mandarin doing??

17. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

I took it back to the LFS, I didn't want to take a chance with there being a problem. Next time we will do our own research as well, it is part of the learning curve. I am now trying to find a home for the starfish as well. Thanks for the advice.

18. Zandy

Zandy

Only a pleasure. So we all learn ... at least you did what was right for the livestock and well done on that !!!:thumbup: If you still need a home for the starfish let me know will swop you some zoas for it. Again good luck with your tank.

19. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

If you would like the starfish no problem, I put a post offering it free to a good home (because to sell it you have to have twenty posts, and I don't have), but if I can get something out of it great. If you can send some pics of the zoas it would be great.

20. Zandy

Zandy

Hi there... i see @aquatas has placed dibs on it already...sorry dont want to step on fellow reefers toes so give it to him no problem. Come through to my place and i will gladly give you a frag or two free of charge.:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. Zandy

Zandy

Regards the posting of the adds.... You could sell it on the FOR SALE FORUM. You had enough posts to do that. To place it for FREE or SELL it you need 20 posts. Just thought i would correct you there...;)

Recent Posts