Siting tank near a fireplace?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by RocketRooster, 13 Dec 2012.

1. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Hi guys,

So I'm in the beginning stages of starting to think about the initial proceedings of getting a tank :), and number one is where I am going to site the thing.

My initial desire was to place it in the master bedroom, against the wall at the foot of our bed (my "man cave" is in the next room behind that wall, so my idea was to drill holes through the wall so I could site the guts and stuff out of site, in the man cave). However, the missus vetoed the idea with a firm NO, and I've received other advice that states that the humidity the tank creates kinda makes it a no-no anyway to site it in your bedroom. It would have been nice to snuggle in bed in the dark looking at fishies, but oh well.

My other alternative is the mancave itself, however there's not much space left, with a couch, closets and two desks (my computer stuff and model painting tables take up a lot of space).

The other alternative is to site it in the lounge. My front door/lounge/dining room/kitchen setup is a bit weird though (My lounge is round with a fireplace set in the one "corner"). Next to it is our TV stand. However, TV is something we very rarely indulge in, and so I could replace the TV stand with the tank. This would mean though that the tank would be about two feet away from the fireplace (against the wall next to it, not directly in front). There is no other place to put it in the lounge, since the round shape makes arranging furniture very tricky.

We use the the fireplace extensively in winter, it works very well and drafts well, but there is that unavoidable smokiness and smoky smell that comes with regular use. My question is not so much about the heat that the fireplace will generate, but rather about the effects of wood smoke and the black kerosene soot that comes from using firelighters. Lots of woods also contain terpenes, which could possibly be harmful to the tank?

Does anybody have any advice in this regard?

Thanks in advance!
    Riaan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

In regards to heat, should not be a problem. As it is not in the path of the infrared heat from the fireplace. Your current TV and cabinet condition would show you that. Any heat build up should be noticeable.

If your chimney is effective, I would not worry about the smoke either. Unless you got black ash currently settling in the house.

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I've heard of a few people who have had weird pH swings because of the excess carbon dioxide produced by the fire.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also gas heaters.

But problem is actually that the house is all closed up. No doors or windows left open for a few minutes to allow new fresh air to move in. A fireplace would be better, as it pushes air up the chimney it will suck in new fresh air from under the doors and from windows that do not seal properly. Gas heaters is the main issue. They use the oxygen in the house, and that impacts your gas exchange. Resulting in PH swings.

6. RocketRooster

RocketRooster Thread Starter

For the amount of use the fireplace gets, there is very very little soot settling throughout the lounge space. So my fears are laid to rest.

There's a wall plug right behind the TV, so that's convenient. Only thing I would have wanted was a drain or tap nearby, but that's about 5m away in the kitchen. I also can't rip up tiles to lay anything. And, being the lounge, the setup will have to be very neat and minimalist, no wires and stuff showing. Stray beams of light peeking through orifices in the hood and cabinet are also a no-no.

(I'm picky that way :))

Recent Posts