siphoning your sump...

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by brentch, 19 May 2012.

1. brentch

brentch

So I am having a slight problem with bryopsis and I wonder if part of the problem is maybe the detritus buildup in my sump... There isn't much buildup but I am wondering how often I should siphon out the detritus? I was thinking of completely siphoning off all the water in the sump while stirring up the water. I will also remove the rock and rinse it off before replacing. I'm just worried i remove too much of my pod population; what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance:biggrin:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi,in my opinion,stirring up the water and taking it all out is not only the longest way to do it but also not a good idea,in my case I have plenty sponges and stuff that have started growing in between my live rock in the sump and I wouldn't want to disturb them as they have obviously chosen where they want to grow,some places there are more than other places,what I do is whenever I do a water change I gently siphon out the actual detritus that's laying on the floor of the two compartments where I can reach with the siphon pipe (without the thick hard part on). That way I'm getting rid of detritus but still keeping the sump in tact..I always feel that the sump is the life of the tank so wouldn't mess around with it too much..siphon out what u can while its settled nicely at the bottom,so much easier...as far as your bryopsis problem I don't know if it will be that exactly or water quality or something..

4. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Thanks, and good points raised! My parameters are good with no measurable PO4 and 5ppm of NO3, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of my problem... So i'll use the siphon to get all the stuff of the bottom.... SHOT!

5. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Cool,try it out and see how it goes...cheers

Recent Posts