Urgent help needed Siphon broken

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Fishcrazy, 11 Jul 2016.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Hi

I have a Siphon setup as an overflow. Last night I did a WC and when I switch on NO water drained. I sucked water for almost an hour, nothing happend. I used the Siphon Priming Air Line that is running out of the second 90 degree elbow over the Siphon-Out pipe. I only got a bit of air out and lots of water in my mouth. Was feeling a bit :(:banghead:

The water just drip out at the bottom of my drain pipe. The return pump works fine. I don't think anything is blocking the pipe, because I've got a fish trap over the pipe. But I did notice that my flow out was slower than normal.

I bypassed the sump completely for the day, currently there is only wave makers and the heater in the DT. I can't move the tank to loosen the pipes, I was thinking of flushing the pipe with a hosepipe tonight.

Any ideas?

siphondrain.png

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. aapstert180

aapstert180

If you have no sihon it means the water lock in the 2 elbows gping over the tank edge is not there. You need to suck out the air in that bend. Those siphon overflows are not trustworthy, as air fills that bend over time the siphon breaks and you got a tsnk overflow.

Fishcrazy likes this.
  4. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

Like I said.. I did suck for air but got buckets full of water... In the past if the same thing happened, I only sucked once and then it went.. so this is why it is very weird for me.. This system has been working for almost 2 years now with No problems..

I'm very puzzled..

5. aapstert180

aapstert180

Maybe you have a cracked joint that breaks the siphon. Try and remove the overflow and test all bends

6. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

That is the problem, everything is glued together and at the back of the tank. I can't see any cracks, or water seeping out of the pipe

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the outside bottom bend is not full enough. For some reason there is less water in that section than usual. You suck air out and get water in your mouth from the inside. There are still air left in system on the out path. Normally the problem when the outside T is too low.

Block the downpipe in the sump. Fit a female end cap temporary. Then fill the outside standpipe from the top with water. That should push out air out the airline. When you notice water coming out of the overflow inside the tank, you know you are set to go. Suck out some excess air as usual.
    Switch on the return, slightly flooding the display, block the hole temporary on top of the standpipe and remove the temporary female end cap. That should have enough force to start the siphon.

Vleis Visagie likes this.
  8. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

:thanks: @RiaanP .. I will try tonight. I struggles last night to get the cap off the outside standpipe. Hope it pops off tonight.

9. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@RiaanP I did it!! It is working again!! Thank you for helping me.. :thumbup:

Vleis Visagie likes this.
  10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What you can do to help in auto restarting the siphon.

This was to connect two sumps without drilling, still the same concept. It will suck out air as it enters. Will aslo help in auto restarting after the power went out. Only problem is that it will blow in fine bubbles into your tank everytime it does its job.
    [​IMG]

Old style pump with venturi.
    [​IMG]

Fishcrazy likes this.
Recent Posts