SIMS Reef Tank

Reaction score
Ok Guys and Gals - this is going to be my new tank. (pic's just for Dean all taken with my phone so sorry if they not too good :))

NewTank.jpg

Size: 1480x850x700 LWH all 12mm
Stand: 40x40 2mm Walls

I will add marine board under the tank when it's moved in place.

I only have this for an over flow for now.

OverFlowhole.jpg

Need some help on what to do? As you can see I have no bracing from front to back - should I add this?

This will be my sump

NewSump.jpg

Size top - 1200x60x45 LWH with C2C overflow.
Bottom - 1150x50x50 LWH -

I'm thinking - overflow from tank to bottom left, skimmer pickup and return to middle which will be a macro algae area, overflowing to return chamber, in return chamber will be return pump to tank and a pump pushing to top sump whick will 1 big dsb with a bit of live rock and some more macro algae overflowing back to return chamber...

Comments on this plan please? ?

sump will be housed in this area outside

SumpRoom.jpg

Room is 165x130 so not too much space but the will have to do, I have car port type roof being fitted on Tuesday, I am going to use wood to enclose the front and one side with a door so it's nice and cosy for the sump. Extractor fan will also be fitted to help keep the mould at bay.

I plan the following for the tank.

Skimmers - Rec. Octo 1500l and AM 1000
Lights - Display - Reef Inmate unit - 8 x 54w with all ATI's
DSB - DAZ unit 3 x54 - with ATI's that I am currently using on my tank
Macro Algae - Daz unit 3x24w Osram 6500k T5's
Flow - 2 x Seio M1100's on controller, 1 Tunze Nano Stream and I hope to get 2 bigger powerheads soon hopefully Tunze Streams but probably be Seio's M2600

Return pump - OR 3500 - Will this be enough?

Lots and lots of fish and corals...

Please give me all comments good or bad. Will keep update pics as I go along and will need lots of help from you all....

About time :tt2:

Looking good, your plans all sound pretty good.

Regarding your bracing, on my 2m tank I also do not have eurobracing along the sides and my tank is only 10mm, although I do have 2 cross braces from front to back in the middle of the tank, not sure if this helps in any way.

Good work sims,
Do you plan on adding something to hide the eggcrate?
Whats your flow rate/pumps

Don't get confused guys, the tank with stock in is his old tank, the new tank (in the first pic) is not up and running yet.

LOL, hey Sims that should be fine, gonna be awsum.

Ok guys need some help - what size bulk head do I need for a 50mm hole? Do you think 1 50mm hole with an external standpipe will be ok? I was thinking an overflow box of 350mmx150mmx400mm LWH - any advice?

I would guess a 1.5" tank connector would fit.... that is just a guess though. I use a 35mm hole for 1" connectors.

How far is the hole from the top of the tank?

Using an OR 3500, you'll be fine with that size hole and overflow, but I personally dislike overflows that are too deep with standpipes in them - the water at the bottom tends to just "churn" and there is too much settlement IME. Do you really need it 400 deep?

Think I changed my mind to a C2C - will the OR 3500 be enough for a C2C and would a OR6500 be too strong for the 1 50 mm hole?

The hole is 10cm in and 10 cm down...

Sims in the pic of the outide area, will the tank be bihind that wall ? - What's the distance from the sump to the tank?
Also you want the raise the sump off the ground, at least 500mm if you can. This will allow you to siphon and do maintenace on the sump. It will also decrease the head pressure on the return pump.
Depending on the distance you should be able to get away with an OR3500. There is a head loss calulator here somewhere. Remember you don't need the water circulating through the sump at a rate of knots. 1.5 to 3 times an hour is enough turnover tank to sump.

Hey DR, the tank and sump will be back to back - the sump (current tank) will basically sit against the wall where you see the water pipe. It is 1200 x 600mm it will come up to about 100mm before the square hole is (that's my doggy door into the house if anyone was wondering. When the room is enlosed it will be 1650 x 1350 so a bit of space around the sump but not much...

I will have to work the head loss out but it will be about 1550 - maybe I should change the sump around so the dsb is at the bottom and the return at the top? How would I work it though?

thanks for the help...

Having the return at the top sounds dodgy. You would then have to pump from the DSB up to the sump and then return to main tank. Balancing the pumps would be a nightmare.

I would go sump top, return from sump drains into DSB. DSB has a small return pump area to return to main tank.

Unless the top tank is above main tank. Then I would do as follows. return from main tank into sump at the bottom. Pump from sump up to DSB. Gravity feed back to main tank. Actually I like this idea.

Back
Top Bottom