Simply amazing

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by seank, 12 Nov 2008.

1. seank

seank

Make sure you take the tour. It's really something to see.

This may be one of the most amazing e-mails I've seen. The last number to 'roll over' is 16. Be sure to look and read the numbers and click 'next' to move along.

In 1943 work had begun on 'Harry', the tunnel that allowed over 70 men to escape from the German POW camp, 'Stalag III', during World War II.

This was the same tunnel made famous by the movie 'The Great Escape'. The URL below takes you to a site where one of the men, after the War, drew a diagram with explanations of each of the sections.

It's amazing how accurate the movie was, even though it couldn't possibly include all the information involved in this great engineering feat. Hope you find this as interesting as I did.

www.kerman94.com/tunnelharry.html

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

WOW amazing, I would not have been able to do that, i would have been in a corner brewing :peroni: with no hope of escape

4. scubaninja

scubaninja

that is something quite special, i could understand the digging with spoons type idea but coming from an engineering backround they did absolutely marvellous to engineer all the parts they did. amazing

5. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Pity the poor devils got caught again, if anyone deserved to make home, I think over half was executed.

There was 2 or 3 that wasn't recaptured I think.

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The sad thing about this, is that 50 men were murdered by Hitler's command, he insisted that 50 men died "escaping" to put off other allied soldiers/airmen/sailors, there were British, American, Austrailian, Dutchmen all killed meaninglessly, my Father was in the Royal Navy at the time, so was my uncle, a POW by 1940, he was set to work in a stable, hisChristmas joke was that while he was shovelling ****, his brother (my Dad) was on a world cruise, still brings a tear to my eye when i think of it.

Recent Posts