Simple is Better

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by keyaam, 11 May 2010.

1. keyaam

keyaam

Yo guys

Im kinda bored tonight and have been digging up some old threads. Is it just me or does it seem that the neat systems just seem to run better. I hope some of you dont mind that im using you as an example. From sump to DT everything seems to be in order without running any additional fancy equipment. here are a few examples and in no particular order.

1) Mudshark Skimmerless reef (No skimmer)
    2) Mekaeels SPS Reef ( full on sps without CARX. Not sure if you connected it yet)
    3) Takumis old reef ( Very basic MASA setup Liverock DSB and skimmer)
    4) Leslies 1.2m reef ( No DSB)
    5) Gawies old nano ( in tank DSB and hang on skimmer no sump)
    6) Adees tank
    7) Sunny X
    8) Tobes old shallow reef ( the new one should live up to that)
    9) Kunhardt 1.8m Reef
    10) Clinton Stanford

There are so many more systems to add but just browse these threads and see. The attention to detail some of you guys display is phenomenal. So many guys spend tons a $$$$$ and cannot compare to the most simplest of tanks. There are a few examples of these on many forums but I will not point that out.

cheers
    k

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

HOORAH! :1:

Its so nice to hear someone bringing this up. IMHO spending a fortune on all the latest and greatest will never ever ever replace regular maintanence, good husbandry, common sense, etc etc etc. This applies to many aspects of life. Unfortunately when people go and spend lots of moolah on fancy systems they feel the need to justify this - regardless of the results. I want my reef setup to grow into a simple, stable, successful tank, without plowing through an entire R&D sections budget of fancy tech! ;-) Btw, I'm not saying this just because my tank has no sump, skimmer etc. I feel the smaller tanks should be approached differently because its not difficult to carry out large WC. If I had anything bigger I'd def want a skimmer etc.

keeyam - hows that ATS working for you? :)

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

simple is better and cheaper...

I do not want to land Nemo on the moon...

The same with cars, all those abbreviations for all the fancy electronic equipment that nowadays MUST be part of the car, else the car is not worthy to be seen in. And if something there do go wrong... Just check the recall drama for Toyota Pruis...

5. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

This topic will stir up alot of things and just to point out that skimmers are an essential part of every home reef setup. Your large waterchanges does allow you to run your tank without one. Like I said there are so many more systems to point out and yours are one of them. very basic nano but husbandry is what drives your tank. The ATS has not kicked in properly yet but i noticed a difference in water clarity ;)

6. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

True Riaan. There are so many ways to run a simple successful reef. I have an example but first need permission from him to post.

7. Dane

Dane

Completely agree! Glad to hear the ATS is improving things already! Would be the first thing I add to my tank for filtration.... Such an elegant idea!

8. Trev

Trev

I kept my skimmer less/ sumpless 100Ltr nano for sometime and I believe it was very a successful tank but was demanding and I enjoyed that only in the last 2 months have I not been able to keep up with this tank and at the first sign of the inhabitants not being 100% I decided to shut it down. Had I still had the time it would have still have been an awesome tank.

My other two big tanks both 100% DIY built simple and logical run them self’s just need to feed the fish and throw in some RO once a week that’s it. I live by the motto that simplicity is the height of sophistication and this is evident right throughout my life from the car I drive to the aircraft I fly.

Great thread Keeyam all newbies should read this but that said I think it takes a certain person nto wanna diy everything most will just wanna buy and plug inn but the diy is so rewarding

Trev

9. PeterL

PeterL

The rewards on DIY as you mentioned Trev far outweighs that of impressing your mates that you spend R30K on your system and then saying that you are only half way there...That for some guys is what gives them drive and more power to them if they have that sort of money to throw around...

I haven't been in reefing for too long and it is really eident to me that the simpler something is, the better it works. Something which needs constant fine tuning and adjesting to get it running perfectly - never does. I got a DSB running which was DIY all the way, the ATS I have is a major DIY job and it is busy working in still but it is doing it's thing - build with a piece of perspex which I used for a backing to the main ATS surface which is an old undergravel filter plate which I dremmeled to size and further scored. The light fitting is a crazy size spot light which is mounted on a piece of timber which is just laying on the floor yet my light is fixed in position - no fancy clamp work.

The other side of my sump has Chaeto growing with a 220V downlighter, that is put into position with a small angled plate I fund at the hardwaer with a piece of dell rod between with all of tha cabled tied to the frame under my tank. The lamp shade for it is crafted from tin foil - I got to get some pics of all of this to show that as simple as it all sounds and maybe really nasty looking - it is actually neatly done.

Considering my tank is the first thing you see as yo walk through my front door, what happens below has to be done neatly, even if it is DIY - and I tell you what, I have no problems.

I actually raised the query some time back about if some Nanos run perfectly with bioballs and filter sponge and maybe a bag of nitrate reducer granual stuff, why couldn't one run a system as simple but only on a larger scale for full size tanks - so ja, about the simpler is better theory, I am all for that...

When last did you hear any of the churches/professors talking about how God's really expensive reef system is batteling - maybe because of human intervension, but it is a totally natural system, why can't we make out own natural reef systems too...A saying that has stuck with me from childhood about most things in life :

"Things in life aren't as difficult as you make them out to be, keep it simple stupid."

10. Dane

Dane

So I think we're getting confused with simplicity and DIY here...

An ATS is a simple, low tech solution regardless if you build it yourself or if you buy it for R10k. :p I think keeyam is referring to all the fancy and often unnecessary stuff that a lot of people buy into for their reefkeeping? Not necessarily how reef systems are produced - be it bought or built.

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

my opinion is the following: that your tank is individual as you are and being totally dependant on you will reflect your effort put into it..

im quita a lazy bugger.. i have always maintained that my tank must live around me not me around my tank.. the main reason for no DSB is a consitency issue as i have been and will be moving again.. so i see no point in starting one , making my inhabitants dependant on its improved water quality just to move and have to start it up again from scratch. i have persisted with large water changes (thanks to clintons help) untill i can finally settle in a place of my own and start my dsb as i do believe it to beneficial in more ways than just nitrate reduction...

the other key i believe is consitency..

even if you are a sloth at husbandry, if you can remain consitent in at least water changes and dosing to mention a few is a great help for you livestock to find a happy medium.. going on this intense energetic drive to be the best all the time will tire you out and when you crash so will your system.

as for the latest and updated equipment: i fell victim to the yuppy chase for the best pumps latest skimmer etc etc.. spending a fortune and never settling down to focuss on the most important thing; looking after what i have and encouraging it to grow..

those are my thoughts on the subject and thank you for using my system as a reference point...;)

12. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

Keyaam,you are 100% correct.simpler is better.dont get me wrong i would love all these fancy reactors a set of vortechs and a awesome big skimmer...ect ect.the thing is (in most people's cases) is cash! i had a very low budgit when i setup my system, my daughter had just been born wich was even harder on the pocket.
    i guess what im trying to say is,i have a very basic system but with proper husbandry, regular water changes and dosing when you need to makes a huge difference.your livestock did not ask to be in your tank,you put them there and you must make shure that you are able to look after them,providing them with what they need to live a happy healthy life in your system. it makes me so angry to see some people who throw a lot of money into a system,buy a lot of fish and corals,they dont know what is nessesery and what they need to keep the livestock they buy.throw everyhting in and then they want to know why they keep loosing livestock!

stick to the basic's look after what you have and what live's in your system.:)

thank you for using my system as a reference Keyaam;)

13. Jaak

Jaak

i could not agree more on this point. I am however a sucker for a nice skimmer...

14. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

Me too thats why its important to buy the right stuff. not 10 skimmers later realize i should have kept the third one

15. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

I prefer the old Reef octopus skimmers...

16. Jaak

Jaak

I know the feeling, i'm still crying over that OCTX-250 that I had to sell...:(

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Howzit Keyaam? Nope, im not using the Carx bro. Infact I got a brand spanking new Carx sitting in my cupboard (One with the 3000lph Reef Octopus pump) and not used as yet. I prefer dosing manually using the slurry method. :)

18. leslie hempel

dude you have no idea what toys i have sitting in my garage,

new carx never used, kalk stirrer, atu, AM tF5000 skimmer, 2 x vortech, reef octo skimmer.. and alot more..

i have just kept alot of the stuff for incase i go bigger.

as for skimmers it is a nice feeling to buy a nice piece of hardware.. but i no longer crave a bank balance sitting in a minus.. im happier it being in a plus :)

19. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

I still cant believe you using this method with no ill effects. Im still trying to understand this. Do you mix kalk with ro and dump everything in one go?

20. keyaam

keyaam Thread Starter

which reef octo skimmer?

21. leslie hempel

Dnw150....

Recent Posts