Reaction score
I have used or considered the following options:

Aiptasia x
Lemon juice
Peppermint shrimp
Berghia (can't find any)
Filefish - too risky to corals
Copperband - difficult fish to keep, expensive

Next plan: silver scat. Currently acclimatized in a full marine tank filled with tiny aiptasias at my lfs. I will pick one up as soon as they are "trained" to eat the Aips, put it in my tank and update y'all with the progress, problems and pics.

Reaction score
Wonder if any lfs's around here sell them...

Reaction score
Just don't forget he will also eat your soft corals if you have no more aiptasia left

EFJ

Reaction score
I had no problem with my scat regarding my softies. I had frog spawn, hammers, torch's, elegance and my sebae anemone and he didn't bother them except when picking up pieces of flakes or pellets. I actually killed all my corals when moving them to a holding tank due to setting up a new tank. On the net I haven't read of any one with a silver scat having problems regarding nipping corals, the green scat is known to nip.

EFJ

Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone else bought them selves a silver scat to control their aiptasia problems and updates on how they are doing? Mine is well and going strong (eats like a pig, my wife thinks his the boss) and guess what, still NO AIPTASIA :thumbup: (well the sump has).

EFJ

Reaction score
I want to get one over the weekend, cause all of a sudden I have a massive Aiptasia outbreak.
Definitely one of my best buys by far and didn't cost a arm and a leg. When you have acclimatized him for salt water just place a rock covered with Aips in the holding tank with him and don't feed him. Eventually you will see the flowers disappear then he is ready to be placed in the main display (if you want).

Reaction score
Great advise, thanks.
I found some at my LFS that has been acclimated to salt water already, does the normal drip method apply to acclimate this fish?

Reaction score
@EFJ, if you don't mind, can you explain how to acclimated your silver scat before introducing him to your marine tank?

EFJ

Reaction score
does the normal drip method apply to acclimate this fish?
Yes.

can you explain how to acclimated your silver scat before introducing him to your marine tank?
If I remember correctly, I slowly changed the water from fresh water to salt water over a period of 1 to 2 weeks. I placed him in a holding tank and every day removed a small amount of fresh water and then replaced that with water from my display until the salinity was the same as my display. After that I added a rock covered with aips and let the carnage take place.

Top Bottom