silicone

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Theo, 11 Jul 2011.

1. Theo

Theo

Hello reefers.
    I've got an old tank that I'm not using. I want to take it appart to build a new sump, but the silicone is pretty tight.
    Does anyone have any advice on how I can take the tank appart/ remove the silicone?

Please help me guys and girls

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete

Pete

You can remove the old silicone with a stanley window crapper and then use a piece of gut or guitar string a cut the panels loose from each other and yeah I know not that easy.

4. Pete

Pete

Oh remember to clean all the old silicone off the panels before trying to re silicone together again.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

or use a carpet knife. Depends on the thickness of the silicone between the glass. slide it into and between the two glass pieces, and push it down all the way. Its not easy. Do not twist the blade or try to force the panels away from each other.

6. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

Funny i didnt see that in their product catalogue..
    LOL gewd 1..

7. neo

neo

Hi,
    I have just dismantled my tank, took me about 10hrs in total working bit-by-bit in the evenings - my nerves are like raw meat at this time....
    Stanley scraper as Pete said and remove every bit you can get to.
    Then I used a normal paint scraper but with a very thin blade - worked better for me than string because the one I have is thinner than the guitar string and has a handle. Work it in at the top joint and slide it down cutting into the silicone, but i did not go all the way top to bottom in one go, I only went 1/4 the way and then did the other side of the same pane, continiued like this untill both sides were done.
    The most difficult for me was the bracing on the base due to lots of silicone.

When all panes are seperate, use the stanley scraper with new blade and remove as much silicone as you can, then use Bostic Silicone remover (expensive but it works), spread a thin film of this stuff, go to bed and clean it of next day by scraping and polishing with kitchen paper, do a final wash with sunlight dishwashing liqd to remove any oilyness, then use spirits (blue stuff) and finally rinse well with RO water.
    If you going to have it cut/drilled then skip the sunlight/spirits part untill the cutting/drilling is done.

Only do when you are relaxed, patience, dont force things to much and keep an eye on how much the glass is deflecting, if you feel uneasy - stop and thing it over.

8. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

Bostic Silicone remover .. how well does it work?

9. neo

neo

I used it for that very last bit of silicone that seems to never come off - for that it works very well, have not used it for anything thicker but they claim it works giving time (upto 12 hrs according to the instructions). There are other brands on the market as well but I havnt used them so cant comment on them - bought mine at Builders.

10. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

Cool guys, thanks for the responses. will definitly give this a try. Patience patience patience..... :eek:

Another question is does anyone know some one that can help me with drilling holes in the panes in pretoria area? The plan is to extend my sump for a large DSB, so I want to combine the 2 sumps...

11. Theo

Theo Thread Starter

:lol::lol::lol:

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

you guys are just cool, good for a laugh now and then:yeahdude:

14. 4age

4age

Break a piece of metal measuring tape..that shud fit nicely between gaps and works like a bomb..I usually pour a little methylated spirits down the joint to soften the silicone before I cut it with the measuring tape..then use a piece of glass that was jst cut..that works like a bomb to remove excess silicone from glass without scratching the glass

Recent Posts