silicone injection on glass tank build??

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Peppie, 15 Jun 2012.

1. Peppie

Peppie

Has anyone used this method to build a 200gal+ tank?
    If so how long has the tank been full of water?
    I will be building a large tank in a few months. I have not found much info on this method of assembly.
    Hoping "NEIL H" will see this and respond.

Thanks for your input
    Peppie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. frankie fish

frankie fish

If i may ask,where is the leak situated where you want to inject the silicone? My suggestion,if possible,lower the waterlevel,inject the silicone,seal,then refill the water. The water pressure will probably force the silicone deeper into the area where the leak is. I hope it helps.

4. Peppie

Peppie Thread Starter

Frankie,
    There is no leak, I have yet to build the tank. I want to know if I can hold all of the glass panels in place, (with a small gap in between) and inject the silicone into the gap.
    Is this a structurally sound way to assemble a glass tank?

Thanks for the response.
    BTW what time of the day is it over there???
    I am in the west coast of the US. It is 9;30 pm here

5. Wes

Wes

:welcome6:

6. Wes

Wes

if it was 09:30 it was 06:30 in the morning here.

7. frankie fish

frankie fish

Here is a link to a thread where a member explains different building techniques, Aquarium Glass arrangement types - Marine Aquariums of South Africa, but in my opinion it is better to start with the bottom glas,squirt the silicone on the side,one straight,uninterrupted line,then place one pane on top of that line,and continue like that until u have ur tank. Maybe someone have a tool to visually show you the most effective way to build a tank,step by step. Hope it helps. It is now 06:45,and cold as the northpole.:eek

Last edited: 15 Jun 2012
  8. Peppie

Peppie Thread Starter

I am not in need of the step by step procedure on how to assemble the glass tank itself. I would like to know if anybody has data on how a tank built with this injection method has held together over a period of time.

frankie fish, thank you for taking the time to post on this thread. I should have explained more in depth on the info I am seeking.

Wes thanks for the time. It will give me a good idea of when to post for the best response time. LOL

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to the Forum Peppie,

I am by no means an expert, but will happily share my experience....

A couple of KEY things with a big tank .....

1. Make sure the glass is thick enough
    2. Make sure you brace it correctly - dont take a chance with a big tank.
    3. clean the edges of the glass where the silicine will go with a alcohol based agent, be very careful that you do NOT use an oil based cleaner .
    4. clean the glass just before you silicone
    5. after cleaning, make sure that your fingers do NOT touch the edges where silicone will be (fingers = oil)

Construction Methodology

For a big tank i would always go for a double thickness floating base (note a floating base fits inside the sides, the sides do NOT sit on top of the base ...) when joining the two base plates together use plenty of silicone (read several tubes for a large tank)
    I would build a large tank in several sittings
    1. using corner clamps, clamp back and sides together with w 1.5 to 2mm gap - can be as much as 4mm depending on the accuracy of the glass cutting done.
    2. inject silicone into the two joints .... wipe ALL excess off asap
    3. allow 12hrs to dry
    4. insert base and silicone 3 joints as above
    5. allow 12 hrs to dry
    6. put front panel in and inject as above
    7. allow 24 hrs to dry
    Note 12 hrs will not fully dry the joint but should be firm enough that if you bump it, you will not disrupt the joint integrity

note you now have a "strong" tank but not a waterproof one, because you have done the siliconing in stages

8. make sure you have plenty silicone for the next bit, and get a silicone tool (for edging the silicone nicely (wife's teaspoons work well as a cheap alternative, but do not get caught)

9. in one single step you will waterproof the tank by running a thick bead of wilicone continiously along each joint and finishing it with the tool

because the tank is strong you can now do this and apply force if needed (do this when the main joints are wet and you will then realize i am right for this one)

allow at least 36 hrs to properly dry ....

now brace the top and bottom of the tank

Tips........

1. be exteremely carefull with cleaning the glass .... no dust, no oil
    2. bubbles in your strength joint are a big problem .... make sure you dont get any
    3. do each strength joint in one continiuous movement, no stopping, inject the silicone into the gap but run your finger over the top of the silicone tube to force the silicone into the gap
    4. have someone watching the joint from another angle to tell you if the silicone has filled the joint and dictate the speed at which you fill the gap
    5. a silicone "gun" is non negotiable
    6. clean the strength joints properly and make the smooth and flush against the glass, if they are not there could be a bubble gap between this silicone and the waterproofing silicone
    7. dont be scared to force the waterproofing silicone into the bubble gaps if they form
    8. make sure that when you bead the waterproofing silicone that whichever joints were not continious during the strength phase are covered in one smooth action

this way you should have a strong waterproof and neat tank

last tip..... practice on the sump or another tank before you tackle the big display tank, you will need to learn the tricks yourself first.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

from what i can sumise from the initial question:

if you mean holding the glass panes in place with a clamp and allowing a small gape between the panes which is filled with silicone from one side and worked through to the other to create a solid seam? then i would say i have seen Idol Marine use this method..

Admitedly only in pictures on the forum so not all construction detail was clear, but being someone who built tanks as a hobby, i paid special attention to the picture Adriaan posted...

Jusging from their reputation and knowing they are extreemly quality orientated they immediatley jump to mind.....there are possibly other sponsors practicing this aswell but none i am aware of.. perhaps @Nemos Janitor can also assist as he is on forum frequently and has been assosiated with some amazing builds..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. Peppie

Peppie Thread Starter

Neil,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my question.
    I have been involved in two glass tank builds using this method. They were both small tanks. 24'' X 24'' X 24''.
    The steps you posted were very similar to what we did.
    The things we didnt do is the set times in between the addition of each panel.
    We set up the en-tire tank, less one end panel and injected all the joints, then set the last panel and injected those remaining seams. We let the tank sit for 24hrs, then trimmed the silicone back to the outside edge of the tank. On the inside we trimmed it back flush to the inside edge. We didnt add a second bead on the inside to protect the structural bead.

We also did not use the floating bottom method.
    The plan is to set up a fish store and build 30+ tanks using this method. The tanks will be less than 40gal. That will be plenty of practice before I attempt to build my own large tank.

How long has the largest tank you built (using this method) been up and running?
    Have you had any tanks fail? If so, why do you think it did fail?
    Why do you recommend the floating base? My research shows either method (stacked or floating) are structurally sound.

Thanks

Peppie

12. Peppie

Peppie Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the links. I will read up on this info.

Recent Posts