Sigma 18-200mm Good lens?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by danimal, 1 Sep 2011.

1. danimal

danimal

Found a good deal online for the Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3. I've been looking for a general purpose zoom such as the 18-135 (I have a Canon 450D body) but not find anything that shouts great deal - until this one.

Anyone got any experience with this lens? I know it is not the most fantastic, but for me and my general purpose walking around photography it should be fine. Just need a few second opinions.

thanks
    Dan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Nothing wrong with the lens. I've got a 300mm and a 500mm sigma lens and I've taken some crack pictures with them. They're not fast lenses in the sense that the aperture is 6.3 but in good lighting they take decent pics

4. Jeann1

Jeann1

I have one on my Nikon D3000. Works for me , but then again, I am a total noob at photography.

I have heard that its not bad for the price, naturally not the best, but also not the worst.

5. KeeganP

KeeganP

Hey man,

I think my dad has one of these he used on our old 350D, I will ask him, maybe you can try it out if you want or I think he might be selling it as well...

let me know.

6. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

awesome thanks guys - i bought it, deal was too good to let go.

woohoo!

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Great - so where's the first pics :whistling:

Hennie

8. KeeganP

KeeganP

:thumbup:

9. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

Hi there

The Canon 18-200 is better if this range lens suit your needs. Having used a similar lens, I wasnt happy with the sharpness and barrel distortion. I think you are better off with the 18-135mm if I had to choose between the two.

Just remember with the 450D, you have reasonable megapixels so you can 'crop in' afterwards to get to the same range as the 200mm end and still get a A4 print. The problem with this lens is that its a compromise betweeen a zoom and a wide angle, and unfortunately the manufactures have not gone for sharpness for the 18mm range, but sharpness in mid range, which brings you back to 18-135mm.

BTW, this lens is heavy and it take a toll on your arms after a full days of travelling and shooting pics

Lastly if you getting the lens like say for R1500 then its a case of why not im getting it cheap, otherwise save up for a little more and buy better glass.

Hope this helps

viper357 likes this.
  10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

as soon as i get it - it's coming from the UK :)

thanks for the input. yep i read up about the sharpness etc at wide angle vs far end, and the 18-135 is probably better glass.

however, the lens was going for R1400, so i figured why not :p the amount of photography i do is not likely to wear out my arms any time soon as well :)

11. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

If all the optics is fine and autofocus is fine then its a good deal

12. SIMS

SIMS

Well I bought one fro Wysalls a few weeks ago - almost all the shots are overexposed so I took it back and now I'm fighting to get a refund!!!!

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

But then surely it's a camera problem, and not the lens - unless there is a problem with it's aperture (or more likely it's communication with the camera...). Have you tried setting the camera on "M" (full manual) and setting the aperture and shutter speed manually?

Hennie

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Or if it is overexposing then you can always tell the camera to under expose. This will also give you a small increase in shutter speed. But if the lens is faulty then i guess it s better to return it.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
Recent Posts