Siganus gutattus

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Slummies, 9 May 2010.

1. Slummies

Slummies

Hey guys

what are your thoughts of this fish?

i dont seem them in and petshops and looking at the suppliers list they dont show up on the eastern regions list.

not much info out there either. sad though, this fish is striking and will be getting one from a very reliable source!!

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Beautiful fish Slummies. If it was me, I would certainly give it a try. I just did a google search on it and found this.

Other Common Names Goldspotted Rabbitfish
    Description The Orange Spot Rabbitfish is an unusually colored silver with orange or rust colored spots. It is excellent in fighting caulerpa, hair algae, bryopsis, valonia and red turf algae. Rabbitfishes are relatively peaceful and will not likely harass other peaceful tankmates. As juveniles, Rabbitfish will frequently school but become more aggressive as adults as they establish their territory.

You should be cautious when adding this animal to a reef aquarium as it is noted it may occasionally nip at large polyp stony corals as well as soft corals.
    Diet eed a varied diet consisting of large chunks of meaty foods. These foods include krill, raw table shrimp, squid, clam and mussel. It is also a good idea to occasionally supplement with some type of herbivore diet.

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?pid=296&cid=23&did=1

4. Slummies

Slummies Thread Starter

yeah, same search i found.

would like to know if anyone has kept one.

they go for R500 so not as rare fish go

5. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

We have the brown spotted ones here; haven't ever seen the orange ones. Would certainly get one if I had. Beautiful fish. I have kept Rabbit Fish ... very good at keeping any algae in check. Mine was pretty easy going. Keep in mind these fish are venomous (spikes in dorsal fins) so handle with care.

6. Slummies

Slummies Thread Starter

yeah they are venomous. also heard they might munch on coral. my mate has the foxface which doesnt touch his corals

7. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Mine never bothered any corals... ever.

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

I've got a fox face and gold spotted rabbitfish. None of them have touched any of my corals (Clams, softies, lps and sps). They just eating me out of house as they eat a whole sheet of marine algae every day.

9. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

haha... that is true, the do have an appetite! I suppose if you don't feed them enough and if there's no algae in the tank they would turn to whatever is available. The only other creature my rabbit bothered was a caribbean feather duster worm. He loved that.

Recent Posts