Urgent help needed Sick Tang, help

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Wings, 13 Aug 2013.

1. Wings

Wings

Hi my Convict Tang was getting quite thin, so started feeding twice a day and got some nori to put in the tank, every 2 days i will put some in for the day. Today I topped up the water with fresh water, as well as stir up the sand a bit, and tonight he looks very sick and tries to get into tight spaces as if to die. He is on the bottom and looks lethargic. I did a 20% water change just in case. He has black marks on his stomach and lower fins. I dont know if he will survive the night but I am worried that my other fish might catch something. I have a 3 foot tank with a 2 ft sump, brought it about 4 months ago and transported all the rock, course sand, fish and water from the origional setup. The fish have been fine until now. Can anyone shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SeanR

SeanR

tagging along as I had the same thing happen. I always wondered if it was worms or an internal parasite. Mine lost weight rapidly over 2 days and then died. I really hope yours pulls through.

Sean

4. Wings

Wings Thread Starter

20130813_203830.jpg
    I noticed that mine was too thin about 3 weeks ago and he has been eating fine since then it seems. I think he will be dead in the morning tho.

20130813_203830.jpg

Last edited: 13 Aug 2013
  5. CharlieB

CharlieB

6. Bendor

Bendor

Is it a fish only tank?
    When you say fresh water do you mean RO water?
    If Fish only and you have RO you can treat with hyposalinity. Even if the Convict doesn't survive you can rid the tank of the parasite.

7. Wings

Wings Thread Starter

Ya it might be although I have not seen it scratching. If he is alive in the morning I will try a freshwater dip. Might even lower the salinity of the tank for a few days as suggested on that site. I do have a mushroom coral, hermit and snail so will have to find out if this low salinity will affect them. Thanks for that site and replies.

8. Wings

Wings Thread Starter

My fresh water is borehole water which I have had tested before.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and what was the outcome of the water test? Safe for human consumption does not mean it is safe for the fish to live in. Depending on the minerals in the water. Hopefully all good

Last edited: 15 Aug 2013
  10. Wings

Wings Thread Starter

I had the borehole water tested at my local pet shop and they said it was good. I dont have a test kit yet so I take water samples from my tank to them too and Ive never had a problem. My tang is still alive this morning but barely. People say that mushroom anenome are quite hardy, does anyone know if they will survive a hypo-salinity change.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

What were you water parameters? Both for the tank and bore hole water? How deep is your substrate, you might have released hydrogen sulphide into your system if your sand is deep enough. It's very poisonous to fish in particular.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope, no corals will survive hypo
    and do not put the display into hype. You will kill al the beneficial bacteria in you liverock, causing the tank to cycle again, releasing more ammonia, adding to your problems

13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Local convicts seem to do this quite often and I haven't been able to figure out why. They'll eat but just lose weight and keel over. Praziquantel and metronidazole treatment doesn't seem to have any effect.

14. Wings

Wings Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. Did a freshwater dip on him and he is now in the sump so that the damsel will leave him alone. My substrate is about 8cm. Not sure parameters as cant get to shop for a test. All 3 damsels are fine so maybe it is a convict thing. No electricity today to complicate matters further.

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Problem with testing borehole water is that the stuff that the LFS will test, like nitrate, phosphate, ammonia, nitrite etc could be fine. But it is the minerals such as iron and other heavy metals that will be a problem and this makes it unsafe/undesireable for a marine tank in my opinion.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

so, next question, what is the TDS reading of the borehole water.

Recent Posts