Urgent help needed Sick Regal Tang

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by christiaan, 14 May 2010.

1. christiaan

christiaan

Hi Guys

I got a small regal tank from a lfs 3 days ago - he's seems very healthy - feeding swimming freely, lively, no stressful behaviour etc - I have a 1 meter 300 litre system and a couple other fish( marron clown, sixline, bluecheek goby and a fire goby. System is stable and water params all normal. The regal has ick all of a sudden - there was a spot or 2 on him when I got him that I didnt notice in the store and now it's spread. I have no hospital tank and hav'nt had sick fish for a long time so I'm a "little out of practice" - Question is this - do I turn my tank upside down to catch him and stress him out and set up a makeshift hospital or so I leave him and make sure water params are great and sore of hope for the best???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

eish dude By now im sure u know the term Research before you buy? Regal Tangs are white spot Magnets and very delicate in the beginning. you have 2 choices strip the tank to catch him and treat him cos he might spread it to the rest of the fish or wait till he sleeps and pull from the rock that he sleeps in. make a hospital tank and treat him would be my advice.

4. christiaan

christiaan Thread Starter

My previous regal was my fav and i had him for over a year before i sold him - I know ich loves um and I know i know whatch the fish at the shop - i just honestly didnt see anything on him - he looked perfect - going over all the params right now - isnt there something like high or lower salinity that helps - been 9 years since i treated ich

5. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Your thinking of hypo salinity, not good for any inverts.

6. christiaan

And I guessing hoping that it'll go away is stupid . . . - will setup a QT and try to catch it tonight I guess:(

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

thats the sprit dont be down imagine how dissapointed u will feel if it dies?

8. christiaan

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

best thing that 1 can do is always QT all new purchases. Its something that im gona force myself to do when my setup is done.

10. maj

maj

I would suggest gettin hold of the herbtana product from one of the sponsors on the forum,Dorrys Pets.I used it for 2 weeks,each day dosing with the skimmer off and carbon out the system for that time period.Wile dosing,i also fed 3 times a day in small dosages but laced all the feeding with garlic.its been 2 months later and all white spot gone,bear in mind my regal is tiny(5cm).

Goodluck setting up hospital tank,but tryin to catch that fish is going to add so much more stress to the little guy.

11. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

These fish are ws magnets but often it is not fatal just brought on by stress. If he is still eating i wouldn't stress him out any more by catching him. I would leave him where he is and feed him up. The thing i worry about is the six line wrasse he is very territorial and will kill any new fish added, that may be the source of stress.

12. christiaan

Thanks guys - the sixline is tiny and there arent many fish in the tank so he seems very chill - I agree trying to catch him will be rough on him and he's looking good this morning(ich is not spreading - yet) and he's still feeding - I hope he'll make it but I'm not gonna catch and stress him - just keeping the water perfect and feeding a lot.

13. Jinx

Jinx

I agree with Alan,I also have a Regal tang and he does get white spot every time I work inside the tank for example.It will go away as long as he is feeding.

You can also treat your food with garlic it will help a bit,I know a lot of reefers won't agree with me on this one.....but I also have a U.V light on my system and it works for me.It does seem to help keeping the white spot under control.

14. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

You can also treat your food with garlic it will help a bit,I know a lot of reefers won't agree with me on this one.....but I also have a U.V light on my system and it works for me.It does seem to help keeping the white spot under control.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Jinx on the garlic, my regal showed some WS after i added another fish, added garlic to their food & no sign of WS nearly 4 months now...:thumbup:

15. colbar

colbar

Yep also got a regal tang from a reefer (he is big and beautiful) put him in the QT for 4 weeks, when he went into DT he got whitespot, which comes and goes every now and then, but I have also found that if you lace the food with garlic, it seems to disappear. If he is eating well everything should be fine.

16. christiaan

Thanks guys . . . Uhm isnt the garlic simply to stimulate feeding???

17. christiaan

Oh and he's still fine - pretty resiliant fish from what I remember and I have high hopes for him - he's feeding - just not the 3 types of nori im offering - and the nori is also laced with garlic

18. Jinx

Jinx

It does help with feeding, it is also said that it will boost the immune system of the fish.

19. christiaan

I'm very happy to report that she's looking much better today and still feeding - only about 15% of the amount of white spots on the body compared to yesterday!

20. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Dude

I think it will be fine dude, you mentioned you had a six line wrasse, i had a tank infested with ich and my friend tank burst and asked me to look after his six line wrasse, to my amazement the wrasse started cleaning the fish!! he ate till his stomach was distended(bloated) then stopped for a while to digest and the other fish were following him around hoping to get some treatment. In the end the ich was cleared in about 3 days and the wrasse is still in my tank. Just watch for a while to see if the wrasse is doing the cleaning. :slayer:

Last edited: 16 May 2010
  21. lappiesreef

lappiesreef

Been awhile since i comented on these threads, but I use Cal-C-Vita or other Vitamin C sources to get rid of white spot. Also an immune system booster like the garlic. Works for me..

Recent Posts