Sick-Healthy tang

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by WINEGUMS, 4 Jul 2011.

1. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS

Hi All

I've noticed something on my yellow tangs' skin. It looks like a white film & vague white spots but is only visible when I look very closely at him & only if the light catches it at the right angle. The marks are also visible on the transparent fins on his side. I'm assuming this is not normal & otherwise he seems happy. He is eating & doesn't seem to be scratching himself on anything. My cleaner wrasse is very interested though & constantly cleaning the tang.
    Unfortunately I don't think the camera I have will be able to capture what I'm talking about.
    I have had him for about 3 weeks now & didn't quarintine him because I haven't got the necessary equipment yet.:whistling:
    What do you guys think?
    Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

You may be catching the slime coat on the fish at certain angle's, if he is acting normally and eating i wouldn't worry too much.

4. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Hi Alan
    What about the marks on his fins? Like I said he seems healthy,I hope you are right!:blush:

5. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Are all the diseases & parasites clearly visible?

6. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

They normally affect the behaivour of the fish, i have never medicated my tank in the 8yrs it has been running and yes i have lost fish along the way but still have my original yellow tang that i bought as my first marine fish. IMO if a fish gets sick it is due to some stress that is being caused, lower the stress levels for the fish by improving water parameters and feed as much as the fish will eat and they generally pull through it. I have had fish where the fins had rotted away totally and are now fine.

7. Keanan

Keanan 2time

+1 My regal tang recently got WS when my elbi angel was fighting with my newly added cream angel.

8. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

I think If continues to eat happily like this no need to worry to much as long as you can maintain high water qualiy. At the moment I have a big mata tang who's had the body full of whitespot. He got stressed, electricity went off as well as the redox potential dropped off. But still eating as if he never had food:whistling: and I can see the amount of spots dropping.

Recent Posts