Sick Frogspawn Help Needed

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Dolphinfriendly, 20 Dec 2008.

1. Dolphinfriendly

Dolphinfriendly

I recently purchased a frogspawn coral. For the first 2 weeks or so he opened up nicely and looked great. But Yesterday afternoon, for no aparent reason, he completely closed up and has not opened since. Just now I noticed a white milky substance coming off of one head and being swept away into the water.
    Whats wrong with him?
    How do I cure him?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

DolphinFriendly - perhaps try a low percentage iodine (to RO water) dip...... Also - check the water flow that this LPS is in - they do not like high water flow.... Is there perhaps anything else that might be irritating/stinging the coral?

4. Dolphinfriendly

Dolphinfriendly Thread Starter

Well the only other corals are:
    1x Kenya tree
    1x Leather
    Niether one of them is anywhere near the frogspawn.
    The water flow is medium, I think, Its just enough to make the tenticles sway now and then.
    It seems to have stopped producing the milky fluid, but now the whole tank is murky.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Do you perhaps have a pic of this occurrence? It might have been a very rare spawning of your coral?

6. Dolphinfriendly

Unfortunatley no.
    But Im not sure about it spawning, that cause it was even more "deflated" than when the lights are off.
    Still it would be cool if it was spawning, and a heck of a lot better than it dying.

7. Megalodon

Megalodon

dude... I''ve seen this happen when you don't do enough regular waterchanges... I think it may be caused by lack of iodine... it is NB to get rid of that infected head (break it off) and chuck it... leave the rest intact and give the colony a low concentration iodine dip (in salt water from you tank just add some Iodine that u can get from any chemist - don't add much though - few drops max!)

Then do a large water change to your tank... add 1 or 2 drops of iodine to the tank and the rest of the colony should make it. What is NB to remember is that sometimes a frogspawn head will close up for a while which is not generally cause for concern.

However if that head closes up and appears to be shedding some milky stuff and bits of it look like they rotting get rid of it ASAP as you may lose the entire colony if you don't.

8. Dolphinfriendly

Bad news Im afraid,
    All of the heads are affected.
    Do you think I should still do the iodine dip, just incase it can still be saved?

9. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Might be too late now, you need to dip in Lugol's Iogine. The best thing may be to toss it. It spreads very quickly and hope it does not kill any more things in your tank.

My2C.

Show us a pic.

10. Dolphinfriendly

I think its too late now, he has lost all his tenticles, the last of them are falling off.
    I think it might be for the best if I despose of him now to prevent further spread.

Recent Posts