sick/dying fish

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by dv8, 17 Jun 2009.

1. dv8

dv8

hi guy's my clown fish suddenly got ill yesterday, i emediately removed her from the main tank and put her into another separate one. a fuge if you like. i had a problem with a white spot and treated it with metronidazole a.k.a. "flagyl". some never made it:( as i think i cought it too late. this with the clown looks completely different. all the other fish look 100% now and i still need to complete the last day of meds tomorrow. here are some pics. it looks realy awfull i know. so pleeeeeeeez help[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

4. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

hmmm, not sure what the flesh coming of the clown is from, i would worry about this stuff you have put in the tank. when we treat we put a fish in a tank which is not connected to the main system, it may be this stuff you are treating with that is causing it, and its gone into your display too, were the fuge and display connected?

6. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

i was treating all the fish, this is the only one that had this reaction, it is now in a totaly separate tank. and all the other fish look perfact. the stuff i am using is an antibiotic, spasificaly meant for external, scin problems. i'm not 100% sure but i don't think its the meds causing the problem

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

ok, i am not familiar with this antibiotic, but you shouldnt treat fish in your Display tank anyway, you could kill other life in your tank like bacteria, and could cause nasty problems for you

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

dv8, looks like something in the tank hut the guy. Any aggressive fish or crabs?

9. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

I don't have crabs in the tank, well not that I know of. I needed to treat the whole tank, as all the fish had white spot. I don't have aggressive fish, these fish have been in the tank for a long time together. I have never had this problem before.

10. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

ph is 8.5. Testing other parameters now.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi DV8 - that DEFINITELY looks like a bite out of the clown-fish's flesh.

Could you possibly list the fish that you do indeed have? I am NEARLY sure that one of the other inmates probably "smelt death" - and started making a meal out of poor nemo.

12. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

amonia is at 0.1 mg/litre. so far water is looking o k. still to test nitrite and nitrate. the fish she is no more but i would still like to know what happend. metronidazole is suposed to be reef safe, and the bacteria should be o k. don't take my word for it, google it , or look on "pics of dv8's tank" it has a far better explenation there

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

No problems DV8 - sorry to hear that the poor fish did not make it. And no - the bacteria would not be the cause of the flesh that have been removed from the fish's dorsal area....
    It was definitely a predator of sorts.....

14. werner5

werner5

sorry to hear about your loss (nemo) :(

15. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

sure, regil tang, flame angel, potters angel, scunk clowns, yellow tang, maroon clown, cleaner rass and 2 cleaner shrimps. I know you are probably thinking its the maroon clown, but its anenome is right on the other side of the tank. It was a big female clown and last night when I removed it from the display tank it was not as fleshy as it was today.

16. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

Tested nitrite levels, they were good. Then tested nitrates and they were a bit higher than what I would like (between 25 and 50mg/l). Not much else I can think of at this stage. Thanks for all the help so far.

17. Boendoe

Boendoe

What about a Mantis Shrimp, do you here any kicking sounds from your tank at night when the lights are off?

18. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Couple of problems here.
    1. too many different species of clown in the display tank, they will fight esp the Maroon Clown very agro clown.
    2. When dosing a tank with an antibiotic please remember that mooty wont only kill bad bacteria it will wipe out all bacteria in the system. Watch those amonia levels and if the other fish have recovered then run carbon for the next 48hrs to get the flagyl out of the water column and then toss the carbon.

19. dv8

dv8 Thread Starter

no, i don't think so. what dose it look like? not seen any other creatures in there

20. Boendoe

Boendoe

21. martinhal

martinhal

My money is on the Maroon Clown. A mate had tank with all the SPS looking like crap. We did the normal tests and nothing. Then I saw a bi-colour angle.... told him thats the problem as they pick on corals. He could never see it happend but once removed all SPS doing well. We cant always see these things. Your amonia is also rather high , could be from the medication. As advised run carbon.
    The ich is also an indiaction that someting is / was wrong. What did you change / add a few days before the ich outbreak ?

Recent Posts