Sick Birds Nest

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ouch, have you got a better pic?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What lighting do you have, tank size, water params.

Hysterix LOVES light

I would frag the healthy bits IMO

Reaction score
What lighting do you have, tank size, water params.

Hysterix LOVES light

I would frag the healthy bits IMO
i have two powerheads pumping 3000leach directly at the coral, directly under metal halide and T5's

Parameters tested last night:

4-2-2008

PH - 8.2
KH - 6
nitrate - <1 ppm
nitrite - 0.01
NH3 - <0.01
Salinity - 1.026 **
Calcium - 420
PO4 - <0.01

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Warr - that "purple stuff" on the Hysterix - is it hard? Or does it feel slimy? Perhaps it is some form of cyano even, and not corralline algae. I do not know of any corralline that will start to grow on a "reasonably healthy" SPS coral - only on the dead SPS skeletons corralline would grow...

Reaction score
Hi Warr - that "purple stuff" on the Hysterix - is it hard? Or does it feel slimy? Perhaps it is some form of cyano even, and not corralline algae. I do not know of any corralline that will start to grow on a "reasonably healthy" SPS coral - only on the dead SPS skeletons corralline would grow...
Hard, so it's dead. Can I leave a coral skeleton in the tank or must it be disposed

Reaction score
Remember this unit has two powerheads pumping 4500l/h, no cyano going handle this type of flow.

This is RTN /STN will it attack my other corals or livestock ?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
OK I can try, but what is good and what is bad pieces, I have been told this unit should be bright pink. This guy is brown ??
they finicky and demand great water quality, then they are a stunning pink

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
How long did it take to get to this stage Warren? If it has taken a while (a few days) then I don't think it is RTN. Move the coral into slightly less flow for now, see if it will recover a bit.

Can you see any polyp extension anywhere on the coral?

Reaction score
How long did it take to get to this stage Warren? If it has taken a while (a few days) then I don't think it is RTN. Move the coral into slightly less flow for now, see if it will recover a bit.

Can you see any polyp extension anywhere on the coral?
happened since I put the unit in front of the powerhead

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
happened since I put the unit in front of the powerhead
This is the problem, too much linear flow. Try to get random flow and do not point the PH directly at the coral as you can shear the polyps off the skeleton.