Urgent help needed sicce syncra silent 1.0 setup

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Barlan, 9 Dec 2012.

1. Barlan

Barlan

hi guys, i am in desperate need of assistance.

we are trying to setup the teco tr5 chiller with a sicce syncra silent 1.0.

the setup is as follows:

tank: red sea max 130d
    chiller teco tr5
    pump: sicce syncra 1.0

here's a pic to show you the actual attempted setup. it doesnt have the pump attached, but we'd like to set it up on the left of the chiller.

there would be 2 pipes (16mm) coming from the back of the tank, you can only see the ones going into the chiller atm. one of the pipes coming down from the tank, go into the pump and then into the chiller.

what we are trying to do is put the pump next to the chiller thats about a meter distance from the top of the tank.

we thought the pump could suck water in from the top of the tank and pump it into the chiller, unfortunately, thats not happening.

so i have no idea what we're doing wrong. i assumed the pump could suck in water from this height, is it possible? or is my pump defective?

i tested it in the tank and it did manage to suck water in and pump out as expected.

we really need some help here. :(

thanks in advance.

20121209_183527.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hill

Hill

Did you prime the pump?

4. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

hi hill and everyone else

priming? firstly we hadn't even heard of priming and no one and nothing mentioned "priming" so this is a first for us. we learn a new thing every day with this hobby. am i correct in saying that priming basically entails running water into the pump, so a circuit is already created before the water is actually pumped around? i read the wiki for priming a swimming pool pump and thats the idea i got from it.

so we made an alternative plan, we managed to fit the pump in the small area between the heater compartment and the skimmer with the shortest of pipes. its not the best solution but it works for now.

if we do perchance move it to be external as we planned, we will need to prime the pump some how. the lack of space to fidget and the rigidity of the 16mm pipe makes priming the pipe the kind impossible, but if need be, i will make a plan.

i saw something called a flow indicator, Shop , is it worth getting? at the moment, we assume water is flowing because the out pipe pushed all the air out of the pipe as it filled with water, so it has to be flowing. also the fact that we cannot physically feel or see if the water is flowing out of the out pipe into the tank, makes me want to consider this flow indicator for peace of mind :)

and if anyone knows where to get a flow indicator like that above of similar/better pls feel free to add a comment.

if anyone has a RSD130d and a chiller, pls tell me about your setup.

thanks for your info and opinions

5. Barlan

Barlan Thread Starter

edit: the link labeled "shop" should display "www.ecamarine.co.za/index.php/shop#!/~/product/id=17345523"

hoping it shows up now...

Recent Posts