Shy foxface

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by MyKey, 16 Nov 2008.

1. MyKey

MyKey

I just got a foxface about a week ago, and just want to know if all foxfaces are shy?

Whenever I feed, or come close to the tank, he disappears, is this normal?

When I was by fragman a few weeks ago, his was also hiding as well, but the one at midisblenny was all around..

Do you think I should just wait until he familiar with the tank? I am just worried cause although the does eat (when I feed), I am not sure if he is getting enough as he is most of the time in hiding. I have quite some algae, so hope he is chomping on this whiles I am not looking

Love the blueish eyes of this fish when he is at a certain angle to the light.. but heard that it could be caused by high nitrates (so lets hope it was the LFS water and not mine), but I wish his eyes stays this way

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

My foxface was a bit skittish in the beginning, but after a while he used to take food from my fingers, he still used to disappear every now and again when I walked up to the tank.

4. marine101

marine101

They remain shy for up to a month, depending on other tank mates of course. My yellow tang donard mine, so unfortunately dont have one any longer, nice fish though!

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi, I have a Siganus Virgatus and he is still a bit shy after about 4 months. Just feed him and see how his shyness dissappers!!!:thumbup:

6. Madreefer

Madreefer

This Magnificent Foxface is more interested in me than I am in him. I got lucky as he is always at the front of my tank. A real showoff.
    [​IMG]

7. Raven

Raven

Whoa - never seen a blue fox before! Very nice!

My fox was shy for a while, but is much better now! (after a month or two).

But he is still a little bit shy.
    And about the eyes - well mine's eyes have a blue/grey color as well, so i don't think it is a problem. I've posted the same question a while ago about the eyes, and it looks like all/most of them have that color...

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Wow, that Magnificent is my next BIG fish in my tank. Saw one yesterday at the LFS, but they called it a red-spined foxface.

Any difference ?

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Beautiful fish that MadReefer!

10. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey Mykey, I had the same problem with my foxface when I got him early last year. After a few weeks he became very tame and takes food readily from my hands. He even gives the occasional splash and wets my clothes lol. Therefore Lanzo named him Freewilly :lol:

11. MyKey

MyKey Thread Starter

Eish Madreef !!! Thats an excellent fish !! I guess I will have to save up for that one.. Never seen one of that before

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

magnificent Fox face nice fish that usually about 300 - 500 more then a usual foxy but def worth it

13. Madreefer

Madreefer

No difference. It also goes by Metallic Foxface, Magnificent Rabbitfish or a Andaman Foxface. It all depends on what LFS wants to sell it for. You know how that works. Fancier name/fancier price. Cool fish I think. They are hardy and peaceful but yet can be with aggresive fish because there is venom in the top of the fins.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Thanks for the info

How do they handle living with BIG tangs ?

15. Madreefer

Madreefer

He lives with a naso tang and a yellow tang and no problems at all. When I first put him in he just showed his fins and I'm sure the other tangs figured it out, all buddies now.

16. MyKey

MyKey Thread Starter

HEY !!!

I could not believe it, but when I came home today and fed my fish, my Foxface was swimming around and eating with the other fish !!

Whooo Hooo.. I think he has become accustom to the tank, and settled today.. Hope it stays that way !! Hopefully he will stay still so that I can now take a picture of him

This is a good day for my tank !!

Recent Posts