Shutting down my DT

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MistaOrange, 1 Aug 2011.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I give up & had enough. I'm shutting my DT down until I can figure out what the hell is going on. Ever since I started adding special blend 4 months ago the briopsis began in the DT but in the mantis tank cyno began & both tanks run off the same sump but in the 3rd tank no problems at all & it too runs off the same sump. I noticed the skimmer is not working hard enouh & added an extra venturi on the infeed to the grotech hea150 which helped a little but not much skimate. I stopped the special blend & have done massive water changes weekly with no sign of briopsis backing down but at least the cyno has gone from the mantis tank. Even tried to shorten the photo period to 3hrs/day for almost 2 weeks then to nothing for 3 days which creatd a new problem & since then my lights been messing about coming on when it wants too but for the last week or so not coming on at all. I've added a couple of cheapo 21w hopar lights untill I fix the problem. I have lost most of mx sps frags & the zoa haven't opened for the last week. Maybe should pack up completely & go far away getting a bit much now 1st my boet then this & johan. These last 4 months have been rather hectic.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Noooooooo!! You cant throw in everything.
    I know youve been having a rough time lately and can understand how bryopsis will exaggerate it.
    Why not keep the mantis and frag tank running and shut down the dt for a while. Dry/boil/scrub/nuke/repeat the infested liverock and start adding it slowly to the dt again? This will give you time to sort out the lighting and plan an awesome new DT. We both know youll go insane with a marine tank.
    Let me know if you need help or a chat.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

dude, i know how you feel.. it gets hectic and when things go wrong they go properly wrong.. i was in that place just a little while ago.. hang in there

5. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@mista orange .... Hey, for every problem there is a solution, don't give up just yet dude, u will find the solution an masa will help, I'm also gettn some cyano, but I know the cause an I'm working on it, but jus a regular cleanin in the meantine should keep it under control.... Sterkte

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Breathe brother, breathe!
    Step back and think.
    The moment is bad, but the next one will be better.
    BREATHE!
    It will be good in the end.
    Have some tea.
    We know how you feel, we all paddle in the same boat, sometimes we get the short paddles for a bit.

7. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

Good luck bru... i felt pretty sheety after brown jelly knobbed most of my LPS... i had to step back a bit and breathe... slowly but surely you can work it out.

8. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Sorry to hear that man :(

Got any things you wanna sell off?
    corals mostly

9. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@ZaxXx .... Dats jus wrong dude

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. 459b

he hasnt even made a final decision yet!

11. Tremayn

Tremayn

sorry to hear this man.. Why dont you move all the live stock to a holding facilty and pump up the Mg? I had briopsis but luckily it just died when I started with the vodka

12. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

ℓ☺ℓ. Well his already made up his mind. The poor guys already given up . . I'm not convincing him to shut down. THAT would be wrong... just finding out if his selling up or not ... Nothing wrong with that

13. 459b

Shutting down his display tank does not mean hes quitting. He has numerous other tanks that can easily house his corals while he fixes the bryopsis issue.
    Alot of people have come close to quitting, but after careful thought have decided not too.
    Until he actually confirms hes selling his corals, and places an add for them, please try and show a bit of compassion.

14. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Chill out mate :peroni:

15. Braco

Braco

Until he actually confirms hes selling his corals, and places an add for them, please try and show a bit of compassion.

Agree with 459b..
    me too came close and every time i have an inspirational moment i pick up the pieces and carry on...just recently i posted that my DT was taken over with Briopsis and Algae blooms with Cyano...i was sooooo close but i did some research took out rock after rock which had this dreaded algae problems and made up a hydrogen peroxide 30 solution with ro water and sprayed every LR with this issue...8 - 10 hrs later the algae turned white and my CUC did the rest. So i found new bliss and hope and also started to dose Vodka..one dose for the DT and one dose for me..lol...to keep my sanity...Michael you're the bomb on so many different levels..and if i ever want my tank to look good i want it to look like yours..the solution to your problem lies within the problem itself..You can recover from this...i have no doubt about that...;)

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Say that to Hyeanas and Vultures, and they would all starve.:tt2::p

17. Xereo

Xereo

Oi Mr Orange...
    Stay in the game man.. Sort it out. we know you can.
    All of us are here to help dude :)

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

+1 :thumbup:

19. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Lmao! Didn't mean to inflict any pain here

20. Xereo

Xereo

@ZaxXx i think its best you move on from this thread. Mr Orange is a friend of ours and he honestly only needs help and support not bs.. thanks

21. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Listen here DUDE. yÒυ really need to chill out! And I can be on any thread I want to be.
    So don't tell me what to do and watch how yÒυ speak to me because yÒυ are nothing to me and yÒυ don't know me.
    Thanks!

Recent Posts