Shrivelled striped mushrooms

Reaction score
Guys,

My frikken mushrooms are really shrivelled up, I've tried moving them around to less well lit areas/less water movement but so far nothing. Ideas? They've been in the tank for a month now. Some of them also look like they're streaching its base across a few inches.

Should've taken a picture.

-E

Elrond please give us the water parameters, so we have a starting point.

PH is 8.2
Temperature is 27-28
Alkalinity is 7
Calcium is 400-440ish
Salinity is 1.022

What else would be helpful?

It might also be useful to mention my spotted mushrooms seem fine.

Okay, nitrate and Po4 would be helpful, maybe try dropping the temp down to about the 26 mark and see if they respond to that. what lighting did they come from or were they baught at a LFS in which case if you had them too high in the tank under strong lights they could be suffering light shock.

Alan,

Will revisit the PO4 and the Nitrate this evening to check them. I've been meaning to drop the temperature slightly so I'll do that too.

I dont think the light is a problem, only running 4xT5's until yesterday, upped that to 6xT5 yesterday.

Thanks,
E

tagging along: mine did the same but it was due to to much light and flow. Moved them to "darker" area in the tank with no direct flow and they fine now.

ok, looks like PO4 is close to 0, Nitrates close to 0, Nitrites close to 0.

Have you recently increased your skimming and/or flow. All my corralimorphians have also shrivveled up in the last few months. This started happening when i started running really low nutrients and increased my lighting and flow. Even in shaded areas the expansion is minimal.

irie ivan,

No, its a new system (2 months) so nothing has 'changed' per se. I noticed last night though that the one mushroom in a slightly darker place looks very expanded, where should these be placed then, in 'shade' (under a rocky outcrop) or in 'medium-low' light as they say. I'd consider 6xT5's medium light!?? (especially at 600mm below the surface)

-E

Elrond, my musrooms do the same when they come from the LFS until adjust to the light (i think) after 2 or 3 months they start opening nicely

Have they been shriveled from the start? Were they shriveled before the lighting upgrade?

How is the flow around them? Some shrooms don't like too much flow. and even get blow off the rocks.

Had the same thing in my setup, but that was because the KH was too low, pushed it up and the mushrooms opened up nicely within a day.

Hill,

yes pretty shrivelled since day 1 and yes, shrivelled before the lighting upgrade. I've placed them in a fairly movement free zone (light movement)

Octo,

my KH is 7, which is believe is about fair, I've seen no reference at all to mushrooms requiring alkalinity though.

-E

Hill,

yes pretty shrivelled since day 1 and yes, shrivelled before the lighting upgrade. I've placed them in a fairly movement free zone (light movement)

Octo,

my KH is 7, which is believe is about fair, I've seen no reference at all to mushrooms requiring alkalinity though.

-E
Where were they originally from, what was the lighting like there?

are they green striped shrooms??

i have the green half way down my tank undr mh's and they multiplying like crazy, i mean like 6 babies in a week

Hey guys,

They looked quite good in the LFS, they are looking almost 'bleached' now, there was one which looked much better which was away from the light. Going to try position them in complete shade. I was trying to retest my parameters again for calcium/alkalinity but my CA kit is either faulty or something is way out on the calcium, will purchase a new kit and continue the hunt!

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming!

-E

Back
Top Bottom