Shrimpy food

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 9 Aug 2010.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I have been surfing the net and have come across the question, Which shrimp is the most beneficial to feed (frozen then thawed) to corals/fish? brine, mysis or kirll shrimpies?

As far as i know krill has the most nutrients but when i feed brine's, everything in the tank goes nuts for the little shrimps, my brittle stars even swim! which is the best shrimp?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PoPe_G

PoPe_G

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Definately mysis are the better food.
    Very important for feeding frozen food is to rinse it very well. Never be lazy and keep
    the frozen block into the current.
    Especially frozen brines carrying plenty of nasty diseases!

5. Trev

Trev

Yeah Mysis is great but as you say deadmeat the smelland taste of brine really gets the fish going but saddly its the least nutritional

6. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

When feeding brine shrimp in a hatch tank, I've been told to use brewers yeast.
    What about a tea spoon of skimmate? Anyone ever try this?

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

rather feed phyto plankton to brine shrimp , starting nine hours after hatching. note however that brine shrimp from a single batch will all hatch over a two day period so only dose a few drops at a time( early morning and late afternoon. also note freshly hatched brine shrimp are highly nutritious especially if decapsulated beforehand.

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

Is krill not even better than mysis? the fish hardly get excited about the mysis :( whats the advantage of feeding living full grown brine shrimp to fish? is there any point?

9. LuckyFish

Glen, I am sorry but this is not 100% correct. A freshly hatched brine naupli has got the highest nutritional value, if not enriched at later stages (instar).

The main content of a freshly hatched brine shrimp naupli is protein. Everything else is lacking badly. That is why we can´t raise marine fish larvae on freshly hatched brine only. The result will be sudden fright syndrome due to a lack of fatty acids.

A freshly hatched brine shrimp naupli contains 74% protein, only 0,25% EPA and 2,7% DHA, 31ppm astaxanthin and 3% carbohydrates.

Cyclop eeze in comparison contains 59% protein, 10% EPA and 11% DHA, 3000-7000ppm astaxanthin and 3% carbohydrates.

10. deadmeat2016

brine shrimp are pretty crap then really, i saw them feeding live mysis at the 2oceans in cape town, how difficult is it to breed those guys?

11. LuckyFish

Krill is probably the best frozen food we can offer.
    The advantage to feed live adult brines is to get picky eaters as copperbands to eat from the aquarium food menu. That is all. Nutrional bad as it could be and brines are not even living in our oceans. Live mysis or glass shrimps are perfect, but where to get them fresh?
    Mysis is for the majority of wild caught Banggai cardinals the only food they will take.
    Seahorses gets weaned with mysis. So everything got his benefits.
    Adult brines are probably the worst frozen food we can add.
    The best food we can offer is a special homemade mix made from seafoodmix, vitamins, spirulina, astaxanthin, etc.
    And if you don´t mind to make it, it is also the cheapest. Laziness always cost us a bit more!

12. LuckyFish

I would say at least as difficult as breeding mandarins if not worse.
    Mysis are cannibalistic and the Two Oceans Aquarium catches them daily and fresh out of the harbour basin. ;)

13. deadmeat2016

Ohhh, Thanks lucky, my LFS has frozen mysis and i will buy some 2moro, I wonder if the aquarium will sell me some live mysis?

14. LuckyFish

No, they won´t!;)

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

agree that you cannot raise fish larvae on them only. the main reason being their size in comparison to the larvae themselves.there is a period of weaning after rotifers where they fit in well,. it is hard to feed larvae cyclopeeze cos it doesent cause a reaction due to lack of movement(sorry only quoting the professionals, i can provide book,page and author if you need it) in fact cyclopeze fits in only at a later stage if at all(unless you have live cultures of them). ps please dont imply that spawning and raising mandarins is easy as pie. there are a handful of mandarin breeders in the world and thousands of clown breeders in the world.(check with my mother she has bred one! me!)

Last edited: 9 Aug 2010
  16. LuckyFish

Yep, that is correct. Rotifers and brines are used as a transporter. We feed what the larvae need to the rotifer and brines. Even antibiotics can be fed to the larvae via rotifer and brines.

Recent Posts