Shrimps molted after 1 day, good/bad sign?

Reaction score
I'm a bit nervous of shrimp (bought one before, acclimated him fine but little fellah didn't last more than a day in m tank)

Anyway I bought 2 cleaner shrimp yesterday, acclimated them for 3.5 hours and put them in no hassles. Today I see they have already molted. Is this a good or bad sign?

This is very good in my opion that means they are aclimitised and settled in already.

Think its just a timing thing ie they were ready for a shed when you bought them, no worries.
Iodine is important for them to toughen their exoskletons, hope you are adding regularly?

Mine shed about 3 days after adition. Then they spawned a week later :)
I think molting and spawning go hand in hand with shrimps...?

Midasblenny: not adding any iodine, reason being is I change 10% of the water weekly?

Mine shed about 3 days after adition. Then they spawned a week later :)
I think molting and spawning go hand in hand with shrimps...?

They do indeed, I have spawning 2 weeks out of the month, due to the shrimps all shedding in a 2 week window. It is insane seeing shrimps fly :)

Good food source for the rest of the tank ;)

I wonder if anyone in SA have reared any to full maturity?

Good food source for the rest of the tank ;)

I wonder if anyone in SA have reared any to full maturity?

Hennie, reckons it is almost impossible. That is the reason cleaner shrimps are way more expensive that any of it's relatives.

Think its just a timing thing ie they were ready for a shed when you bought them, no worries.
Iodine is important for them to toughen their exoskletons, hope you are adding regularly?
spot on!

Well if you can spawn and get cleaner shrimp to full size please tell us how.

Hennie, reckons it is almost impossible. That is the reason cleaner shrimps are way more expensive that any of it's relatives.

What relatives? From what I've seen cleaners are the cheapest shrimps... I paid R225ea for my 2 fire shrimps in my last tank... :( Sexy and Peppermint (or fake Peppermint) are usually more than cleaners in the lfs's ive been to.

What relatives? From what I've seen cleaners are the cheapest shrimps... I paid R225ea for my 2 fire shrimps in my last tank... :( Sexy and Peppermint (or fake Peppermint) are usually more than cleaners in the lfs's ive been to.

Fires are cleaner shrimps ;)

Boxing seem to be the cheapest

Do boxing shrimps eat cleaner shrimps? I'd like one of these fellahs!

I've heard of a blue banded boxer but dont seem to see them in the LFS ever?

Do boxing shrimps eat cleaner shrimps? I'd like one of these fellahs!

I've heard of a blue banded boxer but dont seem to see them in the LFS ever?

Mine doesn't but the cleaner stay away from Boxing. He is also the biggest in the tank.

I would get tried and tested boxing shrimps my pair does not touch my cleaner but they where in a tank before mine with other shrimps and they were fine there.
But if you have not seen them in a tank before yours then i would not take my chanses.

Back
Top Bottom