Shrimp and Hermit Crab

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm geeting my first shrimp and hermit crab tonight. What is the best way to introduce them to my aquarium?

Hi Sparky - Answer: VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY...

You will HAVE to acclimatize the shrimp over a period of at least 1 to 1.5 hours. The hermit is much more hardy - so, max 30 to 40 minutes of acclimatization will do for the hermit.

BUT, for the shrimp you will have to acclimatize very slowly...

i lost a shrimp fast introductin
you must do it drip drip drip way

Ok, so float the bags for a while and slowly add some of my water to the bags...

Then do I empty everything into my tank, or should I take the critters out the bag and into the tank?

Awesome sparky, where did you get the shrimp from? (ive been looking for one for ages now)

As jaquesb said, the shrimp is far more sensitive to parameter changes so it should be acclimated very well (1.5 hours). I acclimated my dwarf hermits for 1 hour and they're doing just fine.

Hi Sparky - Answer: VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY...

You will HAVE to acclimatize the shrimp over a period of at least 1 to 1.5 hours. The hermit is much more hardy - so, max 30 to 40 minutes of acclimatization will do for the hermit.

BUT, for the shrimp you will have to acclimatize very slowly...

Be careful rather go longer I have had shrimps die even after 1.5 hours.

Make sure you slowly introduce your tank's water into the bag. The LFS's setup is normally quite different to our tanks.

I would suggest minimum 3 hours and if you got the time go longer.

Hermits no problem just get temp. adjusted and away you go.

use a drip system

A friend of mine is getting rid of his tank, so I'm not even paying for them... still no reason to just throw them in though... lol... so want to make sure I try do this right...

Hey Sparky - ok - exact procedure:
- let the bags drift in your tank for at least 20 minutes
- then open each bag, and using either a turkey baster (if you have one), or a clean syringe, or any other useful tool to suck some water (very little at a time 10-15ml) and drop this into each bag... wait a few minutes between each bit of water - repeat this until the bags fill up with water - then pour some water OUT into the toilet/sink/wherever..... repeat the process - until you have reached 45 minutes to 1 hour for the hermit, and at least 1.5 hours for the shrimp.... once you have reached these times, then you can remove the bag from your tank, pour out ALL the water (not into your tank), and then take the hermit and place it in your tank.... repeat for the shrimp....

Hey Sparky - ok - exact procedure:
- let the bags drift in your tank for at least 20 minutes
- then open each bag, and using either a turkey baster (if you have one), or a clean syringe, or any other useful tool to suck some water (very little at a time 10-15ml) and drop this into each bag... wait a few minutes between each bit of water - repeat this until the bags fill up with water - then pour some water OUT into the toilet/sink/wherever..... repeat the process - until you have reached 45 minutes to 1 hour for the hermit, and at least 1.5 hours for the shrimp.... once you have reached these times, then you can remove the bag from your tank, pour out ALL the water (not into your tank), and then take the hermit and place it in your tank.... repeat for the shrimp....

Jacques you brave with your shrimps :whistling:

Hi Sparky - yes - same procedure - just try 2 to 3 hours - like Warr suggested ;-) He says that he still lost shrimps at 1.5 hours.... Monitor your shrimp, and IF you have replaced enough water from the bag, that your WHOLE bag is now actually water from your tank, then see how the shrimp reacts - if it is still happy - then release it.... if it is behaving "Strangely" - go on with the procedure...

Hi Sparky - yes - same procedure - just try 2 to 3 hours - like Warr suggested ;-) He says that he still lost shrimps at 1.5 hours.... Monitor your shrimp, and IF you have replaced enough water from the bag, that your WHOLE bag is now actually water from your tank, then see how the shrimp reacts - if it is still happy - then release it.... if it is behaving "Strangely" - go on with the procedure...

Cool cool... I'll let you guys know how it goes tonight...

Thanks for the advice...

...lol... Ok Warr... so you suggesting same procedure, just take it a lot slower?

Yeah, I would just be safer than sorry, horrible to have a cleaner die a couple of hours later even when I did the 1.5 hour acclimatization.

If you decide to do it longer, just remember to stir water for oxygenation.

The method i use for all inverts is to hang a 2lt jug inside the sump, get an airline feed from the tank (tie a knot in it to only allow one drip per second) then put the bag into the jug open the bag and drop the airline/ drip feed into it, the overflow goes straight back into the sump so you can leave them there all day and night if you want.
With fish, some lfs add copper to their system, always ask but never add that water to your system

Hey hey

So they were both in the tank by about midnight... woke up this morning and they still alive... lol... so it seems ok so far. They both scurrying around the tank, not just sitting in the corners. I have noticed I will need to relocate one of the live rocks to give the hermit more space, but will wait a few days to make sure they are settled.

Now I was never going to get a shrimp, so not so clued up on them. I know I'm going to have to dose with iodine for the molting process. Is there a specific brand everyone uses?

Sparky,

How big is your setup. If it's small, I would suggest you don't dose Iodine. It can be overdosed easily and there is a possibility of killing some livestock or helping algae growth.

Your crustaceans will most probably get enough Iodine through what they eat.

Anyway, where are the pics!?!

Sparky,

How big is your setup. If it's small, I would suggest you don't dose Iodine. It can be overdosed easily and there is a possibility of killing some livestock or helping algae growth.

Your crustaceans will most probably get enough Iodine through what they eat.

Anyway, where are the pics!?!

It is a small setup. Is there anyway for me to tell by the behaviour whether its getting what it needs?

I took some this morning, but they didn't come out very nice so will take some more this evening.

Wait for the shrimp's first molt. As long as he doesn't have any deformities, I'd say he's fine. Just also make sure he eats.

How many liters in your setup?

Back
Top Bottom