Should you be handling fish with your hands?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by RiaanP, 6 Feb 2012.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ok, due to comments made. Let everybody voice there opinions here.

I will reserve mine until later.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Landu

Landu

I've always been led to believe that fish have a slimy mucasy layer that protects them from parasites minor scratches and stuff, and also that the slimy layer actually helps heal and ward off infection...and that by touching and houndling them will remove that layer and/or the sweat and other "stuff" on your skin could actually burn them...???
    So i just try not to touch them with my bare hands...:whistling:

Marine1 and leslie hempel like this.
  4. SteveZi

SteveZi

hehe this reminds me of the post where @seank commented on your beautiful soft clean hands:)

I think with bare hands one has the benefit of a soft touch, but one's hands should always be wet and if it can be avoided rather scoop a fish with some water.
    anything you touch a fish with, can remove some of the protective mucus on the skin and this needs to be avoided.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Landu

Landu

on this topic...check out this insane dude petting his fish

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  6. SteveZi

SteveZi

that guy's tank looks just big enough for one small hand...

7. seank

seank

Yes, you can, but there are rules to adhere to, maybe not a law, but certainly to protect the life of the fish, as well as maybe your own:

If you do handle a fish, and you do it with dry hands, it can cause some of the protective coating ("slime") on the fish's skin to come off.

This coating is designed to protect fish from disease.

Wet hands reduce this risk and can actually make it a little easier to handle your catch.

Fish that are allowed to bang around on rocks, aquarium floor or the bottom of a boat harm themselves and expend a lot of undue energy. Depending upon the fish, you can control it by cupping your hand (or hands) around it.

Something we as aquarists/reefers should really read up on:

reference: Fish Tuberculosis

reference: Safe Handling of Fish and Reptiles Factsheet - NSW Department of Health

Last edited: 6 Feb 2012
  8. rakabos

rakabos

Its not just the handling as was pointed out in the closed thread yesterday. Yes you shouldnt handle them with your bare hands, thats common sense, but some shops like to also take pics of them while in their hands and exposed to air. I mean common can you possibly stress a fish out more?

Here is my view. A fish is used to 26C. A human's hand is anywhere between 30 - 35C or so i'd say given his hands have some cooler water on it. The fish is then exposed to air, without warning.

So to put it in terms that humans understand:

You are covered in a hot towel on your bare skin, then without warning dipped into water for a period of time. Oh and all of this after travelling for 24hours in a dark sealed coffin with no idea whats going on or what is happening to you.

So yeah, handle fish? I dont think so, they have enough stress on them, why increase it. Maybe I am being over the top, but hey thats just my view.

:whistling:

9. Jeann1

Jeann1

No... should not be any other answer. Use a net. If the need is there for you to hold the fish in the net to prevent jumping etc. use sergical gloves cleaned with RO water (to remove the white powder and manufacturing oils), and thats about the only time ever.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2012
  10. Zane de Beer

Zane de Beer

I think it all depends on the situation.

I think that whenever possible, it should be avoided but when you could save the fish a whole lot of stress by handling or catching by hand, then I would say yes. This still has to be done properly with clean hands free of soap, oils etc.

Difficult marine likes this.
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Another question, or rock into the bush...

Are our nets not too harsh for some of the fish?

Example, Powder Blue Tangs are white spot magnets. Why do they get infected after being handled? They can be clean for some time, but net them, move them and viola. WS infection.

Why can WS infect the fish easier after being netted? Are we not injuring the fish with a too rough net, rubbing or exposing scales in the process. So that the WS actually get change to enter the protective coating or mucus layer on the fish.

Or am I missing something.

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Im not a fan of using nets to lift fish out of the water. The fins so often get caught and damaged. Catchinhg it with a net then placing it in a small container (while still under water) is a much better option. This way no hands are involved either.

13. Jeann1

Jeann1

That is the best way.. No hands.

14. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

RiaanP

I like where you are going with this. I personally use hands. My fish are happy and so am I :thumbup:. I find that you do it gently and with nets they always seem to get stuck and you end up trying to pry them out of that and that make the transition period (the move) much longer and more stressful.

PS I am far quicker at catching a fish with my hands than with a net :tt2:

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the temperature aspect is interesting but dry hands will remove the protective coatings possibly effecting the osmotic process whereby water passes through the fishes skin and the acidity of the secretion of your hands will not do any better for a small fish in any case.

if fish where meant to be handled they would have a handle on them.. glass/plastic containters with water are the best way to inspect fish, not good for photograps but good for lessening stress on a tiny organism..

No hands..

16. juan R

juan R

Hi Riaan, i do think that certain nets can harm fish and the way we handle them in and with the net also plays a big roll. I think that if you are not use to handeling fish in this way every day then you will do more harm than someone who does it often or everyday. Bottom line is that fish will be harmed when handeling but it is the amount of harm that differs depending on the experience of the person catching and handeling that perticular fish.:1:

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

I also use my hands but make sure they clean ... no soaps, detergents, etc.... Normally I would "herd" the fish into a 5 litre bucket that I keep specifically for catching fish and then transfer to wherever but found nets to also get caught on the fish BUT ... Only when I used to buy cheapy budget nets ... Had no worries to cut the net to shreds to free the fish ...

Come visit by me williet ... you can catch my lion .... then we'll see how fast you are ....BTW ... I have a friend of mine in Durbs that pets his lions but only on the side fins ... after being stung a few times he keeps clear of the dorsels:lol:

18. 2balive

2balive

Think it is a matter of practicality. I try not to touch my fish at all or only once when I put it onto the tank initially. I only have very small fish so they can fit into my hand with a bit of water. Trying to catch them in a nano tank with a net afterwards is imposible, so the hand technique is the only posible way of caching them.

Would not handle it by hand for a photo, think an underwater shot, as difficult as it may be, would be better.

19. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

@chickaboo :lol: I also wash my hands....

I get very carefull with my foxface..... That booitjie has nasty spikes... WRT your Lion - well.... pass!!!

20. 2balive

2balive

Once got a part of my finger caught by my talking catfish's (FW) locking pectoral fin, not fun.:dft007: Used a plastic cup for them since then.

The Family Doradidae or "Talking Catfishes"

21. Braco

Braco

I aslo hate using the net when it comes to catching clown fish they have the spikes.../ spines at the gills and i have seen more than often how they can too become stressed out with being catched by a net...David's method works for me..

Recent Posts