Should I worry that my fish won't eat flake food or pellets

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by reef addict, 9 Apr 2013.

1. reef addict

reef addict

My canary wrasse has been in my tank for 5 days. Feeding him seems a problem he won't eat the flake food. He shows intrest in the flake but at the last second changes his mind. Should I be concenred his not eating the flake?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

5 days isnt long for a fish to get used to the idea that flakes are indeed food, they simply dont recognise it as being edible in the beginning. Often seeing other fish feed encourages non feeders to feed, which other fish do you have in the tank?

depending on how well matured your live rock is there should be a good population of pods which the fish should hunt and eat off the live rock. so normally a fish like wrasses take some time to settle down and feed off live prey until they learn to take flake.

I shouldnt think you will have a problem, just keep at it for a while:)

4. reef addict

reef addict Thread Starter

My tank cycled for about 50 days before adding fish. So for now the only fish is the wrasse. I noticed he is picking at the Live rock and now and again will attack the substrate. I don't want to go out and buy another fish just to tach him to eat flake. I am planning on giving him other food like Brine shrimp ect. My concenr for now is I don't want him to starve..

5. reef addict

My tank cycled for about 50 days before adding fish. So for now the only fish is the wrasse. I noticed he is picking at the Live rock and now and again will attack the substrate. I don't want to go out and buy another fish just to teach him to eat flake. I am planning on giving him other food like Brine shrimp ect. My concern for now is I don't want him to starve before I get to buying the frozen foods. My cleaner shrimp loves the flakes.. I know Flake food is not the only food I need to feed. But its all I got for now.

6. crispin

crispin

i doubt that he will starve, and it sounds like he is feeding off pods already:) Just feed LIGHTLY, small amounts two times a day and let him get used to the idea. If the food isnt being eaten at all then its going to go to waiste products and cause your water to go down hill. i would suggest getting a few other fish to eat the food that he misses.

what size tank do you have and what do you intend to keep coral wise? maybe we can help you with a choice of other fish?

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Start with food he will recognise. Mysis is good

8. reef addict

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am just one of those guys that worries if the fish are ok. Will get some Mysis from my LFS on friday. I have growen attached to the Fish. Has any body has simliar experinace with any fish??

Recent Posts