Should I remove all from back chamber of nano and replace with live rock?

Reaction score
I've just smashed a big piece of LR into about 30 golf ball size pieces.

Should I remove the bioballs, charcoal and sponge from the second compartment and just fill it with LR rubble and the bag of ceramic rings?

Would it be more beneficial to keep the sponge and charcoal (I am keeping the sponge in the compartment that the intake flows into.

Or should I place just a big of live rock in the middle chamber along with the charcoal, ceramic rings and sponge, as well as place some in the 3rd chamber where the pump is??

I would keep the foam in the first compartment and perhaps even use filter floss. You want to stop the detritus from settling on the Live Rock. A build up of detritus will eventually lead to a nitrate build up.
I would also keep the charcoal. Lose the bioballs and I would even lose the ceramic rings.

Ok cool, here's what i've got at the moment:

1st chamber (intake chamber) - 2 pieces of sponge filling the entire chamber (as when I got it)
2nd chamber - filled with LR, two bags of charcoal on top
3rd chamber - just contains a pump.

I still have some more LR rubble, should I throw it in the 3rd chamber or will this make the pump less effective?

as long as it is well rinsed so that there will be no sediment release im sure it would be fine but remember you must use pieces that you can easily remove if you need access to the pump

rinsed it out best I could. they did cloud the water a bit when i put them in there, sure its fine though. plus the pump is in the next chamber

you might want to surround the pump with bioballs, cos more filtration and if anything comes off live rock bios will catch it before it visits the workings of your pump

you might want to surround the pump with bioballs, cos more filtration and if anything comes off live rock bios will catch it before it visits the workings of your pump

Mmmmm, i would steer clear of bio balls altogether, you really dont want them to go biological.

dont understand, cos all areas and surfaces go biological even areas on liverock. , filter wool etc. let the processes run isnt it?

Hi Matt / Mandarinman.

Perhaps not the BEST idea to put either live rock rubble OR bio-balls in the chamber where the pump is. IF the flow is restricted in ANY way, then the chamber where the pump is could be the first one to run dry, due to the lack of water (being replaced by live rock) - which means the return pump could run dry and burn out....

That is why I have left that chamber as is, don't want to mess with the pump at all.

Chamber 1 - single sponge, rest of chamber filled with LR
Chamber 2 - some LR, 2 bags of charcoal
Chamber 3 - pump

Back
Top Bottom