Should I get an early start?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nsteyn, 12 Mar 2015.

1. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

So....
    I am soon starting a new build, and have already acquired most pieces of hardware and medium for the new tank.
    My first instinct is to keep everything nicely sealed in their boxes until the new tank is ready and set. Having a fresh start so to speak. I will however be transferring all my LS and Lr to new tank.

So here my question then. Would you start running media such as matrix and biocubes now in current tank, with the idea of "collecting" good bacteria, and move all over to new tank, or go with my original idea of a fresh start.

Your feelings?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would.

If you can run the two systems sumps together.

Check out post 44 on
    RiaanP Mermaid tank - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums South Africa

Here I run the two displays overnight as one. Big return pump in the display on the right. With a 50mm PVC bridge siphoning water back. Both sumps were disconnected at this point. But you should get the idea of how to connect two sumps. OK, that is if the tanks are close enough to each other.

Alternative is as you say to "cure" some matrix and even liverock pieces in your current sump and to transfer that over.

4. Nsteyn

Nsteyn Thread Starter

Hi Riaan

Yeah, running them simultaneously would have been ideal in my opinion, but unfortunately this is not an option in my situation as the one will be taken down and completely be replaced by the new system.

Ok, so not completely MAD with my "curing" idea.
    I thought it may have some advantages to start off running the matrix and BioCubes but wanted to check with you guys. Was not sure if there would be any disadvantages.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Regards,

Niel

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I would start it up in your old system. Even weeks before your big move.
    As long as you do not let it dry out while doing the move, there is no other disadvantage.

Small critters like micro brittle stars and copepods might even hitch hike over. Never mind all the beneficial bacteria you cannot see.

Orca Cubes are slightly different. No real value other than them already matured and working. So for them 2 weeks is more than enough. Normal run in time.

If you can place small pieces of liverock in your old sump, to help in the migrate of bacteria and copepods to your new system, that will also help.

Having some beneficial critters in your new sump when you start it up is a lot better than having none.

6. Zandy

Zandy

agree with Riaan..

7. Nsteyn

Nsteyn Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan. Good to see you Zandy. Tnx!

Recent Posts