Should i build/buy a tank?

Reaction score
hey guys. im thinking of building a tank, but i need to know how reliable a "home" built tank really is. i mean i have no experience, and i dont think it'll be fun watching it burst in my living room either!

reasons why is well im low on cash, so obvously building a tank is more cost effective right? how many of you guys have built one? i just need to know if it'll be worth it or if i should just save up for buying one.

and also, where do i get schematics and things for buiding the tank.

sounds like fun though, and im going on varsity holidays so i got he time. just not the experience.

if anyone can give me a couple of hints etc ill be greatful

shot, and hope u all had a good st PADDY'S day:peroni:

hey dude, what size are you looking at?
little info and the guys here will get you hooked.
If you need any help on building tank diy, Brucemg is the diy tank builder.

Building a tank isn't difficult, but i would say you need to be a "handy" person, are you good at diy? if you are then you will at least have a very good understanding of the principles involved, but do remember, if you get it wrong, let it dry out then cut all the silicone out and try again.
But do remember to get the water proof aquarium silicone, no others will do

The truth is a bitter disapointment.It seems most retailers can supply tanks at prices well below what we would have to pay for the glass alone.Here in Cape Town when I phoned around the price of 12mm glass was insane,around R5000 on average.My local pet shop build the tank for R2800.

Like Wee-man said, it's not that difficult but you do need to know what you doing, but if you decide to DIY, then DON'T take any short cuts as you WILL pay for it one way or another. Rather also post your intended plans here and get advice before you go ahead.

Im really keen on doing it. i have a sense of DIY got a little farm boy in me, but then again my dad can always be my second hand. ill get the measurements and things this week and post my plans. then ill leave it up to the advice from the boys here at MASA:thumbup:

quick quest whats better, to drill your tank or use an overflow? i checked lightys plans and they seem pretty solid. overflow is noisy right?

Im really keen on doing it. i have a sense of DIY got a little farm boy in me, but then again my dad can always be my second hand. ill get the measurements and things this week and post my plans. then ill leave it up to the advice from the boys here at MASA:thumbup:

quick quest whats better, to drill your tank or use an overflow? i checked lightys plans and they seem pretty solid. overflow is noisy right?

Both drilled tanks and over flow boxes can be noisy if not set up correctly, one important point to remember when drilling, don't drill two holes too close together, it will weaken the tank.

The truth is a bitter disapointment.It seems most retailers can supply tanks at prices well below what we would have to pay for the glass alone.Here in Cape Town when I phoned around the price of 12mm glass was insane,around R5000 on average.My local pet shop build the tank for R2800.

And what about the Jozi area? so u telling me i should rather go buy a tank? :001_ssad:

cool will keep it in mind. oh and when calculating the volume for the size skimmer to buy... should i include the vol of the sump?

cool will keep it in mind. oh and when calculating the volume for the size skimmer to buy... should i include the vol of the sump?

Most of us try to get a skimmer that is oversized for our tank, it is generally believed that overskimming is better than skimming on your limit, so get the biggest and best in your price range.

And what about the Jozi area? so u telling me i should rather go buy a tank? :001_ssad:

yip, i also planned on building my own tank but decided against it because of the pricing factor:(

I believe the manufacturers buy the glass in bulk so it would be really tough to be beat the prices even though we all like a bit of (diy)ing!:)

Lanzo - the good old folks in the UK do not know the ReefTek range of skimmers. So, except for the instances of seeing it mentioned here on MASA, Wee-Man would not particularly know the ReefTek TS1 or TS2....

Hi Geoffrey
Been off line for a while only saw this thread now. Yes its exciting to DIY but let me tell you do some research on the net thats what Ive done , search for
'building aquariums".I bought some 6mm glass which cost me R170.00 just to practice, I built a sump 400x300x300[w] and this was a good staring block for me. Do your design not once but a few times till you happy.The only get quotes.Look at my thread and you should find allot of info there.Ive been busy with mine since January only today did I fetch the glass for my sump.If you need help just say.I see DIY as a challenge and can be very rewarding once its done, but do you homework there is calcs on the MASA that will help. As well as all the pros on the MASA who helped me.If this is not the link to the thread just search "TANK SIZE"

Tank Size - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

told you that bruce will hook you up dude.
good luck.

sorry wee-man the cool skimmers stay in S.A:razz:

why dont you look at building a tank out of wood, fiber line the thing etc... thats what the 2 oceans do for their holding tanks on the roof

told you that bruce will hook you up dude.
good luck.

sorry wee-man the cool skimmers stay in S.A:razz:

Not always;)

10447dae46b7a4db.jpg

Back
Top Bottom