Should I Add an External Canister filter to Red Sea 130D

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by indiozn, 5 Mar 2012.

1. indiozn

indiozn

Hi Guys,

Anyone have any experience with Canister Filters on a Red Sea 130D?

Thinking off adding one. My current setup (standard but i have carbon in a stocking),
    tends to blow millions of bubbles into tank, jet streams of it every other day. Sand also tends to get a bit brown as mentioned in a previous thread.

Do u think adding an external canister filter and maybe a few small pieces of live rock in place of where the current carbon is, would make a big difference?

my water changes are done weekly at the moment, and my nirate levels are sitting on 10.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 5 Mar 2012
  4. indiozn

indiozn Thread Starter

thanks belinda :)

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

put filter wool around the return pump

Your skimmer is likely releasing the micro bubbles, that is then sucked up by your return pump.

Not sure on a Red Sea tanks, how exactly the filtration works, but that was my problem on my (ex-)Nanocube.

6. dizzyg

dizzyg Red Sea Max 250

speaking from experience, It was nice at first but then just got to be a hassle, every time you wanted to clean the canister there would be water all over the place, quite annoying.

7. crispin

crispin

i dont own a RSM 130 but i do the maintenece on one and they are good tanks with small restrictions in my view. the skimmer is adequate at best and if you dont clean it regularly then micro bubbles often escape out the bottom. I have this on my clients tank and I havent totally figured it out yet as filter woll isnt realy an option in that area.

One note though, i did remove all the ceramic trings and old carbon socks from the back compartment as she was having nitrate issues and massive cyano outbreaks. that hellped alot, plus i introduces another powerhead into the tank to help circulation. That was as a short term sollution and its been in 3 years now as the circulation in there isnt good enough.

the lights fairly often need replacement so watch that too.

But i wouldnt say you need to add to the filtration with a canister (will look ugly outside the tank too), just try keep that skimmer well cleaned and working at max else you will have issues with micro bubbles and algae outbreaks. I am looking at putting my own tunze 9002 skimmer in there and see if that helps, i will let you know if it fits and if its a viable upgrade, although google will probably give you an answer quicker than I will as i wont be doing that untill after easter.

Recent Posts