Shooting video with DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by SteveZi, 31 Aug 2011.

1. SteveZi

SteveZi

Hi All,

I have a Nikon D5000 and have been using it to shoot some video.
    I'm pretty satisfied with the results, considering the limitations and frustrations, like the dreaded jello (rolling shutter) effect...

I was wondering if some of you guys/girls use your DSLR cameras to shoot video on a regular basis and how you feel about the results?
    also sharing some tips for better results :)

thanks in advance

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I use my canon for some video and the results are awesome in good light. The only way to get rid of the jello effect is to not move the camera between scenes. This will also solve the auto focus/continuous focusing issue. None of the camera that I know of can autofocus during video mode. So you have to either press the focus button or manually change focus.But this makes the video look crap.

So my suggestion is to set the camera up per scene and focus on the object you want and film that for the time you want. Then stitch all the clips together in post processing.

4. gaboon

gaboon

Sony has just released the a77, has continuous autofocus and no jello effect. Apparently makes the 7D look like a cellphone video, should be here by November, I'm saving.

5. Ishtak

Ishtak

My Nikon D3100 has auto-focus using the video camera function :)

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Nice. Lucky you.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  7. tjiPPi

tjiPPi

I find that using manual mode gives better results.

Also try to use manual focus. It takes a bit of time to get used to it and be accurate. My camera hunts quite a bit if I use AF in video mode. The focus motor noise of my lens is also very annoying.

The jello effect might be because you are not adhering to the 180 degree shutter rule.
    In short what this means is that you should always use a shutter speed that is +- twice the frame rate.

Thus, if you shoot at 24fps you should use a shutter speed of 1/50 (1/48 to be 100% accurate)
    and at 60fps --> use 1/120 (or nearest - rounded up)

This is the equivalent of using a film video camera with a 180 degree shutter angle (physical).

You can use shutter angle less than 180 degrees like 90deg or 45deg for example. This will create a staccato effect.
    So for 90deg shutter angle and 24fps --> 1/96 (or nearest - rounded up)
    Or for 45deg shutter angle and 24fps --> 1/192 (or nearest - rounded up)

For the 90deg and 45deg shutter angles you will need quite a bit of light.

Exposure:
    To set your exposure (when shooting videos in M mode) you have only the ISO and aperture to control the exposure (when using the 180deg shutter rule). A lot of guys use ND filters to cut out some light.

SteveZi likes this.
  8. SteveZi

SteveZi Thread Starter

thanks for this Tjippie! - I will defintely do some further research on this.

Thanks for all your comments so far.

I think the Nikon D7000 can also autofocus during video.
    That Sony sounds good to say the least… will google.

I would like to explain my post- shooting workflow - please feel free to comment on where you think it can be improved:

1. First I have to open my clips in Quicktime and save as a quicktime movie. I need to do this in order to make the clip workable in Adobe Premiere. From what I’ve heard, this conversion is lossless.
    2. Next I would import the clips into Premiere for editing – there are some project settings you have to choose, but I can’t remember the exact details now, but I choose one of the HDV 720p settings that conform to the format of my clips and it works fine.
    3. When I’m finished editing, I export my project in mpeg2 format, again choosing settings that conform to 1280x720, 24fps and a quality setting of 5, which is the highest quality setting available. When I view this mpeg2 on my pc the quality is pretty good.
    4. Lastly, I would usually want to make a dvd to send to friends/family etc. I’ve tried various applications (Adobe Encore, Roxio, Windows DVD maker that comes bundled with Windows 7 ) they all give similar results, ie. A disappointing quality with blown out contrast and brightness, as well as loss of detail. It bugs me to go through the whole process and then see the quality diminish at the final step.

If I can make step4 work, I would be a happy man. I know DVDs are probably outdated, but then, so am I…

9. SteveZi

SteveZi Thread Starter

Well, now after becoming a fundi wrt the 180degree shutter rule, I have learned that you cannot adjust the shutter speed manually, for video, in any of the Nikons pre D7000:(

Recent Posts