Shoe string Dream

Discussion in 'New Members' started by JDV, 6 Dec 2011.

1. JDV

JDV

Morning all, thought I should come say hallo, Just a bit of history , When I was living with my parents we always had fresh water tanks (yes more than one –lol) in the house dad’s hobby and still is .
    So when I started working and had no responsibility and still living at home we got some more tanks. Anyway so from there my interest in the hobby. I moved got married, October was 3 years and was always moving due to renting.
    So September we moved in to our new home. The first taught in my head was great now I can get my Marine tank, so the house needed- needs some TLC and guess where all the money goes so no money for the tanks. Anyway with the permission from the boss, Oops wife I can start my marine tank. So for the last month or so I was reading anything everything on the website “I still don’t think I got everything” but yes there 9 hours in a work day as long as my boss don’t check I should be cool
    Anyway being on a shoe string budget, skimping on the food budget I so far got my 1.2 – 450 - 450 DT and 900 sump cannot remember other dimensions of the sump yes and -lol I know I am going to get a hiding for it a Boyu DT1516 800l skimmer got for a very good prince. Only temporary until I can afford a TS or OCT “see I have done some reading”. So that’s all I have for now no stand no pumps lights or heater, DT and Sump standing on the floor in the dining room irritating the wife but yes it’s a dream on a shoe string.
    I will post some pics, questions when I got everything might be some time but it’s nice to know there is some support out there as I know tropical fish but “niks” about Marine. But for now I will keep an eye on the for sale form for the stuff that I need. Not very cheap hobby to start when you just bought a house ne`? –lol anyway hope everyone has a cool day. Thanks for a great site the information on this site is out of this world. :yeahdude::thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Hi JDV!

Welcome to MASA, you came to the right place for all your questions. MASA will guide you in the right direction from the start.

Yes, that Boyu skimmer is.... . well, ...:censored: :biggrin:

Remember to take it slow, and ask us on MASA before you buy something. This will save you money!!

I hope and know that you will enjoy this hobby and good luck with the road ahead! ;)

4. gecco

gecco

welcometomasa

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Marine is very different. In fact you almost start over.
    Take your time. On this size system you can make your own stand or have somebody make is for you while you help out with a few beers. Cheaper. :)

Sounds like both tanks are standard Daro tanks. Anyway get the 1.2 drilled. Just do not put the overflow under the bracing. You will regret it later. If you do the corner overflow box, ensure that you can get the standpipe, durso and your hand in there to fit it. A 90cm tank can easily be transformed into a 3 chamber sump. first chamber 160mm, last also 160mm. That would still leave a big enough DSB. I would go for a DSB on your budget.

Anyway good luck. and welcome to the salty side.

6. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Welcome and good luck :thumbup:

7. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!:thumbup:

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and there are some very knowledgable reefers in CT, @459b is always willing to help, and there are some great sponsers in CT, David from Perky comes to mind

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. erratiC

erratiC

Hey! Welcome to MASA dude!

10. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Thanks for the nice welcome all, Yip, standard setup, I had the tank drilled “40mm” when I bought it. with an corner overflow box fitted. Sump has 3 compartments 1st- 20cm – overflow and skimmer, 2nd 50cm DSB, 3rd - 20cm for the return pump.
    This will be for a fish only with live rock. I am still trying my luck to get my father to make the stand for me but will see.

11. hermie

hermie

WELCOME to MASA and marines!!!! Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, it can save you a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

:welcometomasa2:to MASA...remember to post those pic's...:biggrin:

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

14. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I have burning question. While I was doing my home work for my new found hobby I came across the below LED strip lights do you guys think the Aquarium White and Aquarium Blue will work for Fish only with live rock tank and the Elite White to grow Chaeto? And also will they work in a reef tank as well
    [​IMG]

15. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Morning all,

I am still looking “saving” for my stand but I want to start getting the plumbing stuff, can you guys please tell me what connector I need for the DT a picture will be cool if possible and where would be the best place in CPT Northern suburbs be to buy them.
    It will have to be a 40mm fitting.

16. Annoying

Annoying

They should be perfect for a fish only tank. With fish inly all you have to worry about lighting is that you need enough to see the fish. I would say for a reef tank you will just need more lights that's all. For chaeto I would go for the yellow spectrum 4000-6000K as they grow best at that colour. You can use normal energy savers or halegen lights.

17. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Morning Annoying, sorry I think my post is a bit confusing, I got my answer for the LED question already I created a new tread for it. but I am actually looking for the an answer to my question on the tank fittings
    Sorry newbie to the hole posting of treads and stuff. But while we are on the subject of energy savers which one do you think is the best use for growing Chaeto?

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I used two 11W or 15W cool white or daylight energy savers with reflecters over my cheato and it grew nicely. Remember that cheato or other macro algae won't grow if there are no nutrients in the water. Some people think it's the lights that's wrong :whistling:

Here was my old setup's sump

[​IMG]

19. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

use warm white, yellow visual shine, it has more red spectrum and better for growing cheato, cool white will work, just more blue
    both will work, i just found warm white makes it grow quicker

Last edited: 14 Dec 2011
  20. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Hi Guys, thanks for the info, can't wait to get my tank up and running

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The reason why I used and recommend cool white and daylight globes is because cool white is 5000-5500k and daylight is 6400k which is more natural? Warm white is only 2000-2500k?

Recent Posts