Shipping in SA

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Seabass, 31 Jan 2011.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi all, can you guys / gals who know of reliable actual overnight shipping agent in SA please post who you use to ship. In East London I see alot of great deals throughout SA but find it is not always likely that seller arranges shipping. So if I can get a shipper to collect from sellers in SA and deliver to my door, future problems solved. Please PM me there details, alt post in this tread. I think alot of guys and gals are put off by shipping, so assist all MASA members get good courier details. Also what you had collected, how many kg's and cost, does not have to be exact. Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trev

Trev

SA Post office will be the cheapest and they do overnight second to that will be internet express IMO

4. chikaboo

chikaboo

More important than the courier is the manner in which the livestock is packed ... If the livestock is properly packed than almost any reputable courier will do like Timefreight or DHL.... Always consider the delay factor and if you willing to chance it ... As for hardware again packaging is everything .... with proper packaging most companies are reliable ... Personally the post office works for me and I've used Timefreight before with no hassles
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Junz

Junz

I use Timefreight with no issues, Post office has become expensive of late, but at least shipping LS to Cape Town is still overnight with them and worth the price

6. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Timefreight is exactly that - a freight company. If you want a courier you need to look at DHL Express or CourierIT etc....

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The Courier Link are pretty good. And they do same day delivery to major cities.

8. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Is DHL for real, cost of items say R 200 for eg. Cost to overnight R 100, this is a watered down version of quotation received. Not going to use them.

9. SIMS

SIMS

R100 for overnight is cheap - speed services (post office) will be R150 counter to door...and thats if it gets dlivered..factor in at least R50 for phone calls if not

10. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Ok Sims, but I have had coral air freight for R 172, weight 7 kg. Same day from Jhb to EL. Just saying.

11. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

DHL does not ship coral, fish or any living organisms, so live rock is out:

This is the reply from DHL:

Following your shipment information below for a quotation request, I would like to inform you of the following.

Coral for Fish Tank - I need to validate if this is coral that needs to be kept in water to sustain its life span or not. The reason for this is that DHL does not all transport living organisms – as we are not licensed to do so.

Fish for a Fish Tank - DHL does not carry living organisms or substances at all.

Decorative Rock/ Equipment – I am more than happy to provide you with a quotation for these, as we do have the capability of quoting it for you and transporting it as well.

12. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

So i placed an order for some lovely zoas on Monday evening, shipped via Speed Service Couriers on Tuesday (R 80 the supplier said,could be more but that is what he charged me for shipping), in my tank by 13h00 on Wednesday, was at my post office by about 11h00 so post office was very efficient. Overnight delivery to my post office in less than 24 hours, Jhb to EL. X 2 thumbs up to the post office.

Hope that all will have happy dealings with the post office like I did, have however seen how the packages are handled at my post office depo, wow very rough and it is marked fragile, so for me fish would not be shipped via post office, no way. Unless your fish is a rugby ball or a tank, and I mean one that makes things go boom.

Hope this helps some guys who want to ship.

Please add your experiences, would assist other reefers in selecting best shipping options.

Thanks for input so far to all.

13. maj

maj

@SIMS which freight company do you use if you ship fish?
    Iv seen how post office operates,not at all safe

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. chas84

chas84

I've used the Post office to send zoas and had no problems.

15. SIMS

SIMS

courier guy

16. maj

maj

Zoas aren't a fuss to send via post,they hardy.
    I'm esp concerned of fish

17. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Guys,

Just be aware that when shipping over night, winter is starting, and no amount of (normal) packaging will prevent the water from cooling when the truck drives through e.g. Bethlehem and the air temperature is -7 C (and it goes down that low quite regularly - I lived there for some time...). The Karoo also gets pretty cold this time of the year.

I don't mind shipping livestock in summer, but will only transport in Winter if the box can sit in the cab next to the driver...

Hennie

18. maj

maj

Good headsup reminder ,I'm hopin these guys do same day
    Pickup and drop off?
    @SIMS I just mailed them now.how's ther rates and timeliness?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. SIMS

SIMS

If you choose overnight and tell them its livestock they send it via air express so it does not sit in a truck for very long. The cold is still a big issue that needs to be thought about. I normally watch the weather when sending stuff that is swimming :)

20. Irma

Irma

I had a shipment of fish couriered from CT to Jhb by The Courier Guys and they were excellent! Collected the fish Monday afternoon and delivered to me 9:00 Tuesday morning.

21. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

Hi guys, saw the threat, and if I could hijack it a bit.
    I need to courier a few things, not livestock from a company in Jhb to my work, also in Jhb.

In other words, just picking something up and delivering it to my place.

Any good companies you know about?

Tnx.

Recent Posts