shell Q.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Wetty, 19 Jan 2009.

1. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

Some friends got back from Mozambique last week and brought me sum kick ass shells....but they were rubbed down with coconut butter...or is it oil? Anyhoo...is it safe to put them into my aquarium? Would crap myself if the snails that came outa these shells chased me, The shells are almost the size of my PC monitor.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i wouldnt add them unless they are broken along the twirl, as they will cause dead spots and pollute the water, as for the oil, cant see it being good

4. Apollo

Apollo

Yip, I second what dallas has said.
    You would need to wash them before using in the tank.

Use a vinegar solution to soak them and remove any oil , prior to putting them in the tank.

5. Hill

Hill

I would not use the shells.

Why not rather get one of those nice little ship wrecks, or a treasure chest that releases bubbles. ;) :whistling: :nono:

Sorry could not help the sarcasm. :lol: I just can't picture a tank with large shells, they should be in the same category as the above.

6. mike Bushie

mike Bushie

To be honest bud even if you put them in without a problem they'd just get covered in algae/coralline and eventually look nasty ;)

7. crispin

crispin

Wetty that sounds like a horrid idea. Hill has the right idea, i'm just too diplomatic to say it.

if you did add them they would only be asthetic value (if you into plastic roses and fake decor) and end up trapping detritus causing water quality issues.

best left where they were found i recon

Recent Posts