Sheldon

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Sheldon, 18 Feb 2010.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon

Hi Guys, this is my latest venture, so far so good. Please feel free to add any thing you feel I have missed.

Tank size 1500mm x 610 w x 620 h. Jewel Marine with filltration unit in the tank.
    1 x 2000lph cannister
    1 x 1400lph cannister
    Reef Octopus hang on skimmer
    15000 Resun wave maker
    1 hp Hailea chiller
    4 x white T5's
    2 x blue T5's
    50 kgs Kenyan LR

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sheldon

Sheldon Thread Starter

Delivery and ins[​IMG]tallation

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Thread Starter

looking good[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Feb 2010
  5. crispin

crispin

well done fella, great to have a new tank:)

is that drilled and plumbed for a sump? i wasnt sure about the ' filtration unit in tank?'

6. Sheldon

Sheldon Thread Starter

No there is no sump and according to LFS who has run his tank for 2 yrs, the water changes and replacing of the filltration sponges is vital

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Looking good, but that tank is not even a month old. Please keep a very good eye on that water parameters. The biological filtration did not at all develop enough for all the fish you got in there. The LiveRock you used, is it properly cycled and mature, or did it dry out at any time?
    Tank looks good thou. But please wait another 2 weeks and be very attentive on your water parameters. Else you will end up with a green algae monster. Give the biological filtration time to evolve. You running 2 cannister filters as your main filtration. Even they need time to settle.

8. crispin

crispin

hmmm im very scepticle to be honest. if can be done agreed, but your life is far far far easier with a sump. just MHO.

pic 3, is that their tank?

9. crispin

crispin

sheldon, i know from your artricle thread that youve had a really rough run into marines with second hand tank being sold as new etc etc. I also feel your LFS might not be giving you the best advice.

i am being gentle here, but to have that amount of LS in a tank without decent filtration and which is less thank a month old is not such good news. Either someone is selling you down a garden path, or you are being hasty, perhaps a small combination of both?

Stick with masa, read the threads and ideas on here, listen to what members say as masa has a great collective knowledge and no incentive to tell you something that isnt true.

10. Sheldon

Sheldon Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the adv, I'm not in favour of not running a sump. When I get back I will change a few things. The chiller in the lounge sounds ling a A380 landing so Iwill be moving it outside and then adding a sump. I have a Nano tank wich has be going for a year. Pic of the shrimp. I can move all my LR into there and store all the live stock at a buddy. I had to get my wife going with a cosmeticaly good looking tank.

We test the water every 2 days and I make loads of calls to make sure all is ok. The LR as far as I know was never dry. Will keep you Guys posted as to my next project.:y11:

11. crispin

crispin

dont worry fella, every project goes better than the one before, but someone should have told you to hold off on that LS a little before putting it in, indeed someone should have adviced you to have a sump before you got this far.so i am just a little concerned where u were getting your advice from;)

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

He said in his other thread that he's been dealing with Northlands as he had some bad experiences with a PMB LFS.
    My view on all this is that Northlands had a Jewel tank running in store and now sells the same type setup to noobs with much less experience :whistling:
    Did you add some bacteria to speed up the cycle at least?

13. Sheldon

Sheldon Thread Starter

I did add a doubble dose of bacteria, I think I would like to give the system a chance and monitor it very closely, its not only the LS but there is alot of money invested with this. But its not the finance, I really want this to work. I dont want to jump on the band wagon and start pionting fingers, I'm gonna give it a chance. I have stuck tin foil in the canopy as the lighting was not evenly spread, it has made a small diff.;)

14. Tanz

Tanz

Please give us an update on your Tank..

Recent Posts