1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I did my first shark dive a Few weeks ago. Pooped myself at first, but the hour with them was very exciting. I will upload some of the PIC's ADVdiver took a little later but here is a vid snippet of some of the Bronzies and black tips. We also saw two hammerheads but to far away to video or take a pic. The vis was a little murky but Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rocky

Rocky

thats so cool!:yeahdude:

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Where did you do the dive?

5. seank

seank

Just came back from a dive. Found 2 dead sharks on the ocean floor, some idiot must have killed them, as they have stab marks and the one's jaw is cut open

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Aliwal shoal. About 2 ks off the reef.

Thank you, it was awesome.

7. Nemos Janitor

Ahaaaaa that is so sad. Hope the culprits get what the deserve.

8. seank

seank

Yeah Nemos. I took a friend with today as the weather as well as visibility was perfect. Sadly he had to see the dead sharks. It was in about 6 meters deep water

9. magman

magman

did you also bunk church? I went a bit north, the SW had bashed the sea up a bit, but I did see a big shadow behind me also, the tide was very low today though also.

10. magman

magman

what sharks were they and were they big? probably a stormers fan putting a revenge'n'all in

11. seank

seank

Nope, went to church first dude. Saw your wife there

12. seank

seank

About 6-7 kg sharks. Looked like Spinners

13. magman

magman

where we usually dive here? Up North a bit, there was a bad surge turning the sand over, the water was clean, just the sand and surge blasting you around

14. seank

seank

Nope, Groenkop

15. Nemos Janitor

Pic's ADVdiver took.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Damn nice NJ!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Koek's thats the problem with some fisherman, they dont know how to handle the sharks, therefore they just end up killing them. Lack of education on the sport.

17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

That looks awesome NJ & quite an experience. Next time try to calm the nerves as sharks pick up on that. I try to do that every dive but end up kaking big bricks when I see a big white just coming closer on most of our dives. It's human to be nervous but when that passes it's awesome. congrats NJ on your 1st shark dive

18. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I will not survive such a thing... Almost had the wife phone Liberty Life just by looking at the video...

To much water, nowhere to go and huge fish with bad attitudes (not really I know) would be just too much for me...

I struggle to go into the Vaal river to do some fly fishing, let alone dive into the deep blue with sharks...

BUT, it looks like it was an amazing experience...!!!

19. lloyd18

lloyd18

Guys on this note, I was in the Transkei in August on a fishing trip, needless to say that we caught nothing watsoever but there was a South African National fisherman that was standing on the Rocks purposely fishing for Shark, after around 1 hr he hooked up, faught the shark for about 1hr 15min then proceeded to land the shark in the process the shark got so battered and messed up from being slammed into the rocks by the waves it had scrapes all over and was actually bleeding, they then proceeded to stick a Gaff in the sharks gills and haul her half way up the rocks, as they could not get it in the mouth.

Once they had secured her they continued to drag the shark up onto the rocks even further out of the water only to injure her more, on closer inspection this was a pregnant female Raggie she was around 2 m long and 180 Kg.

They had her out of the water for a good 20 - 25 min while they collected their prized photos and took the measurements, all so that they can go back to their fishing clubs somewhere and brag about the shark that they had just slaughtered.

By the time that they released her she was so tired and exhausted that I doubt she would have even made it past the backline back to safety, so what next another harmless victim of our wonderfull pride.

Where is the sense in this, they are not planning on eating the fish, why go through all of that for the fish to die???

2 Years ago I would not have felt the same way I do now about this however since I started diving I have started looking at these things differently.

If only I had got his name.

20. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I also have a similar story... My wife's granddad toldme when they were in Namibia they caught a stingray, then they hung it up and cut it's tail off, so it would bleed to death. They ate the shark...

I turned all colours while he was telling this story, and this was the very closest I ever was to moer a toppie, but the words "Ignorense is bliss" came to mind... I just swallowed my anger and walked away...

These type of things happen way too often...

21. brentv

brentv

Guys come live in Shelly Beach... home of Shark diving, and you will meet some of the 'Trailor Trash' that screw with our sharks!!!!
    Just by the way Protea Banks is full of Zambezi's, Tigers and Hammerheads at the moment, not to mention all the different reef sharks!!! diving Saturday at 7 with Aqua Planet who's in!?:thumbup:;)

Recent Posts