Shan's new nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by shan, 22 May 2013.

1. shan

shan

Hi All,

I am back after a very long break. Here is my old thread with my old tank that no longer exists: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=3196

and a final FTS pic of it before i tore it down:

DSC05017.jpg

For some unexplained reason, i could not stay away - i just had to have another marine tank. Just so you guys know - i currently have 4 planted bathwater tank setups.

Now for the info on my new setup:

bought the tank from Andre@reefaquatics - i must say that the service was fantastic. I emailed the dude over a weekend and on a public holiday and the guy responded very quickly. I think through that weekend and the 2 public holidays, he answered about 10-15 emails and they were closed for business on some days. He answered all my daft questions and when i was finally convinced, i just wanted to speak to some one personally over the phone, and the guy called me after hours as well. Once i placed the order and paid, the communication still came and the items i bought came over to GP very well packaged. I am truly very impressed and Sir, you have a customer for life.

now for what i bought - i got the smaller brother to this: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=43347

about 30cm high, 30cm wide and about 36cm long. The last few cm's is for the back sump. Came with a 9 led unit as well as a skimmer similar to the NAC BM QQ and a 50w heater.

So what are the current plans: i did not like the sump - it only had 2 chambers of equal size. Chamber 1 houses the skimmer so i cannot do anything there but chamber 2 only had the return pump. So in chamber 2, i will build a media basket out of perspex and therefore make 3 chambers in the sump. The media will consist of purigen, phosban, carbon, seachem matrix, and batting. Why the matrix, well i have it spare because of all my bath water tanks and its very good for bacteria colonies. I also have some bio cubes but not sure if i should use it or build a fug above the return - i think i want to build a fug - still to decide.

i plan to do 75% WC a week - thats 15lts, maybe 20lts. Corals will only include zoas and shrooms and maybe some GSP. No fish plans for now. Maybe a few bumble bee shrimp if i can find some, and the normal CUC. Tank will be BB - hopefully covered in zoas and shrooms - so i will be looking to buy.

Currently i have some dead rock (from my last setup) sitting with some LR i bought from Dorry Pets. It is sitting in a very dark room, under black plastic, in a bucket cooking with a heater, small return pump and an airstone. This is week 2 of the cooking process and i have so far added some seachem stability as well as prodibio biodigest. The dead rock should be live with bacteria by now. Another 6 weeks or so to go to have good clean cooked LR. This process was just to make sure the dead rock had no PO4 in it and that it was seeded well with bacteria.

i will take a few pics and add them soon of all the stuff and of the media basket build.

till the next update

DSC05017.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

an amazing little tank you have there!

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

will be following

5. the fish

the fish

looks awesome

6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Can't wait to see your new setup considering how nice your old setup looked before you took it down. I like the idea of a coral only tank :)

7. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Nice tank boet:thumbup:

8. shan

shan Thread Starter

Some pics of the stuff i have collected thus far in the building of this tank:

The tank:

DSC09833.jpg

DSC09836.jpg

the skimmer:

DSC09834.jpg

the LED's and heater:

DSC09835.jpg

the media box i built with 3mm perspex -still need to stick it together. As you can see, the water will enter one section, be forced down the media and the up the other side to the return pump:

DSC09829.jpg

DSC09830.jpg

DSC09831.jpg

Cooking dead LR with LR:

DSC09837.jpg

DSC09838.jpg

so the cooking process - as this is a pico/nano, i am going to use one big piece of dead LR. I took this piece of rock, washed it with my power hose and scrubbing brush and took off a lot of rubbish, then it dried in the sun for about a week. After that, i put it in a 10lt bucket with some good LR, an air pump, a heater, and small 200lt/hr water pump, along with seachem stability and prodibio biodigest. It has been there for just over 1.5 weeks now. I hope all PO4 and other stuff will be gone in about 6 weeks from now. The bucket is sitting in my dark store room, with two thick plastic packets over it to keep it dark. Temp is sitting at 25.

DSC09833.jpg

DSC09836.jpg

DSC09834.jpg

DSC09835.jpg

DSC09829.jpg

DSC09830.jpg

DSC09831.jpg

DSC09837.jpg

DSC09838.jpg

9. dallasg

taking shape nicely

10. the fish

the fish

coming a long nicely man

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Looking good boet:thumbup:

12. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

wow Shan, I never thought you gonna make it that good !!! Well done !!! :thumbup:

But we just sent you the tank the other day ???

Last edited: 23 May 2013
  13. shan

shan Thread Starter

@Andre@ReefAquatics : no dude:lol: - the very first pic was of my first tank back in 2008, a JBJ 24g nano cube - i closed that tank down.

With the tank you sent me, i am still cooking the rocks for that one - you see some of the pics above, that tank is still in the box wrapped up. I water tested it and tested all the toys - all's good. Then i wrapped it up again and reboxed it. Once the rocks are cooked, i will start the tank.

now i just need a stand for it - i feel a build coming along.

i am doing this slow - taking my time

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  14. devesh.r

devesh.r

All th best man on the tank. Looking forward to your build.

15. dallasg

Updates?

16. Bendor

Bendor

17. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Nice, was wondering when someone was going to start up one if those nice nanos!
    Keep up the pics & good work!

18. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

nice i would like to get some feed back on the beams works led they look perfect for a lil nano

19. Dot Dash

Dot Dash

Tagging

20. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

Updates?

21. shan

shan Thread Starter

no serious updates yet guys - the LR is still cooking. Chances are that i will only wet the tank in July. I have stuck the media chamber together with superglue and water tested - all went well. I have also got some plastic mesh to put over my return pump to create a nano sized fuge. Will have that on reverse lighting with a 6500k cfl or maybe even a downlight - still have to think about that one - any advice here to light up a 6cmX6cm fuge?

With cooking the LR, there is stuff (sand) coming off the rock and collecting on the botton now - not much though meaning that the rocks are now going from algae driven to bacterial driven - so hopefully all the PO4 will be eaten up. As expected, the corraline growth on the LR rocks is receeding. I am doing 100% wc every saturday to remove the leached PO4 and the crud on the bottom - so hopefully i will minimise hair algae - damn i hope this works.

Recent Posts