Shans nano

Reaction score
Hi all,

new to this site - was on google and some how got here

anyway, i got myself a 24g nano cube in Nov07. I do not have any recent pics but will get some this weekend. so far my inhabitants include a whole bunch of zoa's (got from Durbs on Dec holiday with my invert permit), 7 hermits, 1 crocea (got him last thursday), 2 clowns, 3 tube worms, 2 walking anemones, 2 urchins, star fish and 2 brain corals.

i am stocking very slowly. feeding the fish omega pellets with garlic and the corals with marine snow. yesterday was the first day i decided to target feed - (i normally just put in 5ml into my seio) - and WOW was i suprised at how they all reacted - the walking anemone almost doubled in size - the brains all woke up and this morning my crocea is fully open - never seen him so open before.

well anyway will keep you updated - and will post pics on monday

regards

shan

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Shan! A very WARM welcome to MASA! I hope you enjoy our company. Yes, we would love to see some pics of your tank.... And life-stock!

BTW: I have a wee bit of experience with nemmies (I have 4 of them in my 2 metre tank) - and just want to suggest something:
- nemmies "walk" because they are not too happy - they cannot find a spot to "stay"....
- I use lighting and water flow to make my nemmies happy - of which they usually require A LOT OF....
- I also feed my nemmies once a week, pink shrimp (raw - what you get from Pick-n-Pay ie in Seafood mix)....

What lighting do you have - what total amount of water flow do you have in your nano? You mention a Seio? What size Seio? Also, what other pumps do you have in your tank?

Looking forward to some pics and more information.

Reaction score
Hi jacquesb

thanks. With the questions - the seio is the M620 and then i have the stock pump in the sump that comes with the jbj nano cube. with upgrade the stock sump pump to a maxijet 720 as soon as i can get my hands on one. lights are stock nano cube compacts -2 white and 2 blue.

with the nennie - i know your concern - these are not the normal nennies that you get at the LFS - they are from durbs rock pools. they are actually called a walking or wondering nennie (common name) i do not know a scientific - when i post the pics maybe someone can tell me. I will not put a normal LFS nennie into my 24g as i know the difficulty in keeping them. With the 2 i have, i feed them omega pellets and marine snow - will get some coral frenzy as well. since i got them, they have grown. if they did not walk, then i would be worried.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum shan, your tank sounds interesting, looking forward to the pics :)

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome shan! Are you entering our nano competition?

Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Shan.

Reaction score
Hi all

thanks for the warm welcome.

as promised, here are the pics

corcea
tank09022008041.jpg

GSP
tank09022008001.jpg

walking nennies - as you can see, they are not the normal LFS variety. the green one glows green in the led night lights
tank09022008005.jpg

tank09022008009.jpg

top down view
tank09022008043.jpg

my water is:
PH: 8.4, temp: 25, Sg:1.025, Ammonia: 0, NO2: 0, NO3: +/- 25, Kh: 10, PO4: too low to detect, Ca: 400.

current inhabitants: 2 clowns, 6 hermits, 1 crocea, 3 tube worms and 1 unidentified fish

thats all

regards

shan

Reaction score
Warr - why you say that - everything i read says beween 8-11. Please i am only trying to understand as i am new to this and do not know much as this stage - what would you suggest

Reaction score
2nd to last picture looks like a majano nenny. Just watch out for that. The other nenny is a beadlet. Clowns will generally not go near them either.

Reaction score
Warr - why you say that - everything i read says beween 8-11. Please i am only trying to understand as i am new to this and do not know much as this stage - what would you suggest
Normally keep mine at 8. But if it works for you, stay with it :thumbup:. The sea is normally measured at 6-7

Reaction score
nennies were not obtained for the clowns - i just like these - but will keep an eye on the one in the 2nd last pic - thanks

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Shan, now how about a full front pick?