Shallow Tanks

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm looking for some inspiration with regards to a shallow reef tank. I've done the Google part. Is there anyone locally that can give me some tips on a shallow tank. I'm looking to do a 2m shallow tank, but want to know the DO's and DONT's of running a shallow tank. Mixed reef or lagoon style? Please share your inputs:please:

I have a shallow lagoon type reef
90 X 90 X 35cm high
Very nice for top viewing and working in
@Midasblenny can you please post a few pics please? My one question is top view related: How do you keep the water surface "still" to obtain the top view, with a wavemaker in a shallow tank

I don't take good pics
Just switch the pumps off when viewing from top

A few ups on shallow for me.
First - Easy maintenance because of reach everywhere and no ladders needed
Second - You win on lighting, because of depth you obviously don't need as intense lighting and can get away with wide angle lenses when going led only so you can win on spread and possibly using fewer light units. Or you can hang your lights higher which gives even more space to work in the tank.
Third - Safety factor... You can build a bigger tank using thinner glass, and build rimless in the process. If you want a example of this go play with the glass calculator and keep the depth at 40cm, then change the other dimensions. Then, see what the safety factor does as soon as you change the depth.

Downside for me is flow. You need to get the flow correct, because you are already limited with space. If you put in sand you run the risk of creating a sand storm, or the wavemaker pulls in surface air depending on wavemaker obviously and placement. Deeper tanks disperse flow better without risking those potential problems. Using gyres or pointing your wavemakers upwards helps with this, but it is an issue to take note of.

Or.. just go bare bottom and crank up flow without worrying about sand everywhere :m16:

A few ups on shallow for me.
First - Easy maintenance because of reach everywhere and no ladders needed
Second - You win on lighting, because of depth you obviously don't need as intense lighting and can get away with wide angle lenses when going led only so you can win on spread and possibly using fewer light units. Or you can hang your lights higher which gives even more space to work in the tank.
Third - Safety factor... You can build a bigger tank using thinner glass, and build rimless in the process. If you want a example of this go play with the glass calculator and keep the depth at 40cm, then change the other dimensions. Then, see what the safety factor does as soon as you change the depth.

Downside for me is flow. You need to get the flow correct, because you are already limited with space. If you put in sand you run the risk of creating a sand storm, or the wavemaker pulls in surface air depending on wavemaker obviously and placement. Deeper tanks disperse flow better without risking those potential problems. Using gyres or pointing your wavemakers upwards helps with this, but it is an issue to take note of.

Or.. just go bare bottom and crank up flow without worrying about sand everywhere :m16:
Thanks @Baz, your tank is a real inspiration. Bloody awesome! I would like to do a 2m rimless at 40cm deep, but I don't know if it is safe. I'll go and play with the calculator, but even a small euro brace will not be the end of the world, if it means I can sleep at night without worries.
I actually like a sand bed, but your tank got my mind spinning with the bare bottom. I guess bare bottom only looks good when your scaping fits the look. I guess one can start with bare bottom and add sand later, should one wish. The worst should be a mini cycle.
Baz you touch something I never thought of, Wavemakers! Because I want to do a 2m, the wavemakers will have to be strong and that could lead to the sandstorm you mentioned:032:

Is it advisable or do-able to have wavemakers on one side only? It will be a peninsula tank, thus don't want to obstruct the other viewing end (opposite the overflow and wavemakers). Will it become a detritus trap on that side?

Reactions: Baz
You can definitely do one sided wavemakers. Most paninsula tanks are run this way. If you like closed loop systems you can add a few on the far end in the base to compinsate if its needed. But I reckon two gyres and two stream pumps should be enough on a 2m system without adding a closed loop. A 2m paninsula will be a stunner!

You can definitely do one sided wavemakers. Most paninsula tanks are run this way. If you like closed loop systems you can add a few on the far end in the base to compinsate if its needed. But I reckon two gyres and two stream pumps should be enough on a 2m system without adding a closed loop. A 2m paninsula will be a stunner!
@Baz Just want to understand correctly. Do you suggest 2 stream pump against the back wall and the two gyres against the sides?

@Baz Just want to understand correctly. Do you suggest 2 stream pump against the back wall and the two gyres against the sides?
Two gyres and two stream pumps on the back wall to push water along the tank will create a current along the length of the tank and back again towards the pumps if that makes sense. You would just have to get your pumps positioned so your overflow can still pick up floating particles in the water. Or even a single gyre will perhaps work. You would have to test this, but I see no problem in running a single sided pump positioning on a paninsula. If it so happens that detritus collects at the far end it makes it easier to syphon out, but I doubt that would be the case.

Two gyres and two stream pumps on the back wall to push water along the tank will create a current along the length of the tank and back again towards the pumps if that makes sense. You would just have to get your pumps positioned so your overflow can still pick up floating particles in the water. Or even a single gyre will perhaps work. You would have to test this, but I see no problem in running a single sided pump positioning on a paninsula. If it so happens that detritus collects at the far end it makes it easier to syphon out, but I doubt that would be the case.

This sounds like the way to go! :cheers2:

Reactions: Baz
@Murphy have you set up your shallow reef yet?
No not yet, had to shutdown my current tank. It is empty now. Now i'm contemplating using my current display to dismantle and cut to the size i'm after. A few people however told me that it is not worth the effort...just order new glass for a build or get someone to build the display. Choice, choices:032::032::032::032:

No not yet, had to shutdown my current tank. It is empty now. Now i'm contemplating using my current display to dismantle and cut to the size i'm after. A few people however told me that it is not worth the effort...just order new glass for a build or get someone to build the display. Choice, choices:032::032::032::032:
I agree with them its not worth the effort. I recently took apart a 2.2m tank and its lots of work. Glass is just sitting here now waiting to decide what to do with it :m85::m85:(you may have given me an idea now)
Please share updates when you get it going:slayer::slayer:

Last edited:
Can anyone please share how tall there stands are for there shallow tanks?

This thread had given me an idea

Back
Top Bottom