Shallow reef tank planning and progress

The hammerite can states that it is a primer as well.

Is it better to paint a primer first or to just use the hammerite?

I just used hammerite

The stand has it's first coat of paint and I am starting to plan the tank itself.

Now my question is regarding the overflow.

I have a 4000 l/h return pump, so I expect about 3000 L/H after head (Thumb suck)

Slim.png

The C2C type of overflow is 5cm deep, 2cm wide. Will it handle the flow or do I need to make it wider?

it looks good, a another tip for painting the stand, take a small bottle brush or sponge and paint the inside where the legs are so that if there is spillage it wont rust inside etc...

the return pump should be fine, if it is to strong, you will see this when testing, just plumb a T piece in and return via a valve some of the water back to the skimmer compartment.
size of the overflow holes?

it looks good, a another tip for painting the stand, take a small bottle brush or sponge and paint the inside where the legs are so that if there is spillage it wont rust inside etc...
I will paint a little inside, thanks. I also have bought plastic caps to close the 50mm holes.

size of the overflow holes?

I am planning two 50mm drains. One at the bottom with a bulkhead that will be restricted with a ball valve and one with a durso for the little bit of water where your setting is out.

cool, 2 x 50mm will be fine
rather make the one a emergency overflow

2 drains?
I take one is at the bottom, either bottom glass or back pane
and other is higher up.

The higher one do not need a Durso. If you hear it, because its draining, then the bottom drain valve is not right.

cool, 2 x 50mm will be fine
rather make the one a emergency overflow

That is what the 1 will be with the durso.

I have noticed before that it is difficult to get the setting right without letting a little water trickle down the emergency pipe.

Last edited:
2 drains?
I take one is at the bottom, either bottom glass or back pane
and other is higher up.

The higher one do not need a Durso. If you hear it, because its draining, then the bottom drain valve is not right.

I am struggling to get plastic gate valves to use. Setting it with a 50mm ball valve is a tedious job. Been there.

That is why I wanted to add a durso that will be a bit more forgiving if a little bit more water runs down there.

the durso must be your main line out the tank, therefore its silent the other can be your emergency, but with 4000L it wont be an issue
the emergency overflow must be a straight pipe out the tank, no durso or valve

the durso must be your main line out the tank, therefore its silent the other can be your emergency, but with 4000L it wont be an issue

The one that is not a durso will be at the bottom and handle the main flow. Since there is no air in the overflow it is extremely silent(Even more than a durso)

I am following the herbie method that was described on RC.

This is another design I am considering.

SlimMiddle1.png

SlimMiddle2.png

Would you recommend something like this?

What I am worried about is some marine life getting stuck in the slim overflow.
Maybe it can be prevented by some plastic grid or something

Yip agree, so if you hear the emergency, it is because there are an emergency. If it is silent, it is just as usefull as my alarm to wake me up, but it is set with no tone. Woken up by the sounds of birds.... sorry boss.

Can use that plastic oversize comb. I know idol marine got it. Keeps snails in the tank side, but not fail proof.

Also slimline, first get your fittings, before you build the overflow. Or drill your tank.

max have a look at manic zeo reef thread and see how we built it

ur first idea i like alot, can u send me ur sketchup file and i will add to it

Back
Top Bottom