SFlow's Twin towers

Hi guys, so I haven't really been updating this thread much. Not much has been happening with the tank. The tank is still struggling with cyano. I plan on adding a refugium to the sump once I find the time.

Once my exams are over I will be spending some much needed time on the tank and will keep you guys updated as it happens.

Here are some photos and videos of my Green Mandarin (female) that was up for a photo shoot. Hope you enjoy. (Just ignore all the algae)

IMG_20190202_180227.jpg
IMG_20190202_180217.jpg
IMG_20190202_180214.jpg
IMG_20190202_180210.jpg

Some videos:

Last edited:
This thread has been really quite lately so here is a little update.

The tank has been going smoothly. I have quite a few plans which I will be systematically implementing in the coming months. The planned projects are:
  • Replacing the lighting
  • Cleaning the sump
  • Removing the sand from the sump and replacing it with macro algae
  • Re-doing the plumbing
  • Adding a carbon reactor
  • (plumbing a second tank into the system)
For now, here is the first project put into action. I replaced two T5 bulbs - 1x Coral blue and 1x Actinic. I also removed the LEDs and replaced it with a 4x T5 unit. The unit currently has 4x Coral blue bulbs. It is going to take some adjusting as the tank is now much blue-er than it was before, but I really like it.

Here are some pictures:
IMG_20190225_180231_1.jpg
IMG_20190225_175133.jpg
IMG_20190225_175120.jpg
IMG_20190225_175114.jpg
IMG_20190225_175106.jpg

And a FTS:
IMG_20190225_175059.jpg

Just a little update, I got some new corals earlier this week. They are from a fellow reefer, and are really nice. I got the following:
  • green frogspawn
  • red monti
  • branching birdsnest
  • (some) blue acro
The SPS are all adjusting really well and openned up almost immediately. I was really worried that they would not do well as the only SPS I have had till now was the blue monti I added 2 months earlier. The frags have a bit of growing to do, but I have hope.

It has been a while since the last update. Nothing much has changed. The tank is just continuing along. The only thing that is new is the two little guys in QT. I happened upon a pair of Twinspot Gobies. And yes I know they are notorious for being very difficult to keep in captivity. So far they are just in a holding tank with a thin sandbed to fatten them up before the TTM QT process. I'm a bit in two minds about how to QT the little guys so until I figure it out they will stay in the holding tank.

To my surprise they take most frozen foods with vigor. See below for a few photos and a video of them getting fed. (The holding tank is pretty dark so sorry for the bad quality):

Hi guys, just a little update.

I happened upon a fish I have always been interested in but have been too scared to try. It is a decent size Paracentropyge multifasciata that is eating frozen good. Being the impulsive buyer that I am there was no way I could resist the temptation. It is currently in an observation tank where I'm going to try out various foods before putting it through the stress of QT. It was with the shop for a whole month before I purchased it and, according to them, started eating after two and a half weeks. It is clearly fat and healthy, as well as being very inquisitive.

Here are some pictures of it when it was acclimating:

Hi guys, not much to update. My injuries have been preventing me from getting to the tank much.

I did however get a new toy. I decided to upgrade my sump to make better use of the space, so I got this little acrylic box. I'll unfortunately only get to setting it up once I can properly function again:slayer:.

wow, nice looking sump.

Hi guys, just a little update.

I happened upon a fish I have always been interested in but have been too scared to try. It is a decent size Paracentropyge multifasciata that is eating frozen good. Being the impulsive buyer that I am there was no way I could resist the temptation. It is currently in an observation tank where I'm going to try out various foods before putting it through the stress of QT. It was with the shop for a whole month before I purchased it and, according to them, started eating after two and a half weeks. It is clearly fat and healthy, as well as being very inquisitive.

Here are some pictures of it when it was acclimating:
IMG_20190427_151726.jpg

IMG_20190427_151733.jpg

IMG_20190427_152034.jpg

IMG_20190427_152036.jpg

IMG_20190427_152036_1.jpg
Hi guys, so it's been a while since my last update. I really suck in this regard. I Spend most of my time staring at the tank, but I never share.

So after 5 long, nerve wrecking weeks of QT the Multibar angel finally went into the tank. The QT process was fraught with peril. To this day I have not seen it eat anything with vigor. But it has been getting fatter as the weeks have gone by. I had the fright of my life in it's second week of TT, it was laying on it's side breathing rapidly. At that point I thought it was the end, but I rushed to transfer it as it happened to be time anyway. Right after and the following days it was completely fine and as inquisitive as usual. I have no idea what happened.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and share the photos. It's the real reason you are here anyway. You'll have to excuse the isolation box as I'm introducing it to the rest of the inhabitants. Oh, one last thing, it has been named Roy.

The video shows teh little guy a bit better:

Last edited:
So a little update.

I added, or rather attempted to add, the Multibar Angelfish to the tank the other night. The Angelfish (called Roy) jolted to the bottom and tried to bury himself under the rocks. Immediately the two tangs, Goldrim and Purple, started hammering the poor guy. After a few minutes of him just laying there and getting hammered I decided to get him out before it is too late. So after a big struggle I managed to get Roy out of the tank. Now he is back in the isolation box. I still have to find a solution for introducing him peacefully.

I think my problem is the fact that I have not changed anything in the tank nor added any livestock in over half a year. The fish seem to have completely established their territory.

Hi guys, so I've been neglecting the tank maintenance lately, but today for the first time in 3 weeks I cleaned the glass. Here are a few photos. I once again realised how beautiful the fish is (since I can see them properly for once).

Toothless - the Goldrim:

Purple - the Purple Tang:

Goby - the Orange Spotted Goby (I rarely see this little guy, he is always hiding in the rockwork):

Roy - the Multibar Angelfish (he is back in the isolation box for now):

Back
Top Bottom