Setup help

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Caleb, 17 Nov 2009.

1. Caleb

Caleb

Hi Guys, I just have a few questions on my final setup of my cube.

Is it safe to use PVC Weld on my plumbing?

Should I cycle with or without lights?

How long should I leave the tank for silicone to dry?

What can be used to clean silicone smudges off the inside of the tank (eacept for minora blades)?

How much LR should I get for a total system volume of 300L?

Should I add Prodibio Startup at the beginning of my cycle?

Can I add Purple-up to my system at the beginning of my cycle?

How good is our local LR?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hope this helps.

4. neo

neo

Hi,
    glass scrapers does not remove the last bit of oily smudge that stays behind.
    I have used:
    - Rubbing alcohol from your local pharmecy but this needs a lot of rubbing.
    - "Tar Removing Agent" from an auto shop (Midas), this works great but must be cleaned afterwards.
    - Bostic has a silicone stripper , it works very well but keep away from the other silicone in your tank as it starts to loosen it.

Best is to clean it while wet with vinigar, then afterwards it's just a wipe down.

I'm tagging along for the rest, also need this info.

5. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

great answers tobes ... not much to add, except to say take things slowly, if you do add bacteria etc, keep a VERY careful eye on your parameters before your add stock.... bacteria should speed things up but each tank is different so there is no rule of thumb to follow, just keep teating and stock SLOWLY

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yip all been answered
    Caleb, are you coming this wed eve? we can discuss further or anytime infact

7. Caleb

Caleb Thread Starter

Thanks Tobes. How illigal is it? Fronwed upon, or get locked up illigal?
    That is a lot of LR, don't think I will have enough space. Will adding an ATS help?

Neil, I will be taking it very slow. I have a very specific stock list and I will make sure all specimens are healthy and eating before adding to the system.

Dallas, unfortunately I voted weekends as week days are very difficult for me - I work near Parys and I stay in Glenvista... Maybe we can arrange a few :peroni: some other time.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

cool, i work here in village deep, rosettenville, so can met after work

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

You can get a serious fine - no one wants that, so rather buy LR from another reefer or LFS. There is a reason it is illegal, it is protected and that's a good thing :) We don't want our shoreline to be depleted of rock now do we?

An ATS will help if you do it right, also a decent skimmer. You can also have a DSB with chaeto to add to your biological filtration.

30kg of rock is not much, that's only a few pieces :p

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

In my opinion, definitely without lights. I have just cycled 2 tanks and as an experiment I had the lights off on one tank and on the other they were on 8 hours a day. I will upload photo's later this evening to show the difference.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just a tip, while setting up the plumbing, rather silicone the stuff together. Do not use PVC weld directly. Pipes, except pipes under pressure due to a pump forcing water, should not leak. So you should be able to fill the tank and test your setup.

And when all plumbing is done. All pipes correctly cut, and in correct place and you are finally happy. Then you can pull the pipes apart and then glue them together forever with PVC weld.

You will be surprised how strong the silicone will hold the connections together.

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I'll wait for the pics before I challenge this statement :p

If it is about a GHA outbreak, then isn't it better to burn it out now before adding livestock? Even if it takes 4 or 6 months?
    Most guys cycle without lights and then add lights and livestock only to have a GHA outbreak later on with low or no nitrates and phosphates detected as the phosphates are leaching out the rock and used up by the algae before the test can pick it up.
    Just a thought, as GHA can hurt corals - fish are not so much affected.

13. Caleb

Caleb Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, will keep that in mind. Thanks Viper, will wait for the pics. Tobes, I have one of new cone type Orca 80's and I will also have a DSB with Aragonite. Hopefully I can get some cheato from a fellow reefer close by...:whistling:

How difficult is it to remove GHA?

14. FransSny

FransSny

Actually quite easy Caleb, keep water params in check especialyy with regards to nutrient levels , be patient, you can even get some of your inmates to do the work for you (lawnmower blennies etc)

Good luck with the Green Monster

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Why would you want to waste expensive aragonite on a DSB? Rather use reggies play sand and seed it with some sand from a fellow reefer's DSB. Some aragonite have sharp sides/edges and cut the delicate creatures living in it.

And don't believe that aragonite helps with buffering capacity as it will only dissolve at a pH of 7 and lower, and we run our tanks at a pH of anything from 7.8 to 8.5 ;)

16. Caleb

Caleb Thread Starter

Thanx Frans.

So what is the benfit of using aragonite at all then?

17. FransSny

FransSny

unfortunately with Tobes on this one. Unless you are willing to spend GOOD money on a GOOD product you might actually end up with a product that could cause some degree of injury / irratation

What I mean to say is like with anything else read before buy as some of the "cheaper" versions is not as fine, less edgy etc as the expensive stuff. Reggies works fine ...or even a combination as no sea bed has exactly the same size sand particles (IMHO)

As for buffering capabilities ..think its a marketing ploy, unless you would like to drop your ph every now & again

18. danimal

danimal

quite keen to see these pics :)

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Right, here you go, look at the top two tanks, one is nice and clean and one is green :( These tanks are all connected to the same sump.

[​IMG]

20. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

How long after the cycle is this? I am in the last part of cycling my tank and have no gha at all. I run lights basicly whole day from when i wake up to when i go to bed.

21. millepora

millepora

Tobes wrote,
    "And don't believe that aragonite helps with buffering capacity as it will only dissolve at a pH of 7 and lower, and we run our tanks at a pH of anything from 7.8 to 8.5"

Don’t agree with you here Tobes.;)
    Aragonite will in fact start to dissolve at a pH of around 8 and a little over. There defiantly is “an amount” of buffering to the water from the aragonite dissolving, the argument should be about the amount of buffering, rather than no buffering.
    My belief is that although all the aragonite manufactures/supplies use the buffering fact in there marketing/advertising, it is a moot point for most aquarists as they are maintaining calcium and alkalinity with the addition of chemicals in any case. (kalkwasser, two part additives, calcium reactors etc.)

Recent Posts