Settlement Area

AndreT

Retired Moderator
Sponsor
Reaction score
When using an in-sump skimmer, what are you guys' thoughts on having an empty settlement area before the skimmer chamber in the sump. Keeping it empty means it's much easier to vacume clean with no equipment in the way.

In my current setup, I have to remove the skimmer to properly clean the sump bottom of detritus. It's a bit of a mission to regularly clean.

Having a settlement area will HOPEFULLY mean that most particles will settle in there and not go into the next area that contains equipment and where it's a PITA to syphon.

Very good idea Gali, haven't heard talk of settlement areas for a while now, but they do work.

Cool thanks Alan. Thought for a moment there I was going mad.

cool stuff, anybody got a pic / design of how to do this right? thanks!!!

is this how it can work or how would you design it?

sett1-1.gif

Punk why so many baffles?

eish not sure hey, won't some of the detritus spill over from the inlet chamber and at least get caught in the baffles (hopefully) before going into the skimmer chamber? or you reckon no baffles needed there?

Punk I would just have a DSB compartment after the skimmer as well.

Yea Baffles are a PITA...IMO. I find that debrits gets trapped inbetween and it's a mission to get ou. It also wastes alot of space....

cool, you know what might be cool as well... to put in a tap/ball valve in the bottom of the settlement chamber so when you want to clean it out you just open the tap?! :)

Good idea if you can get a vortex going, all the detritus will move to the centre of the compartment and if that's where your bulkhead is, then cool.

Back
Top Bottom