Setting up OR3500 to run dry

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just built myself a new sump incorporating DSB etc. All was going great until it came time to put my return pumps into the chamber that I had made based on very careful and precise measurements of the chamber in my old sump. Problem is that my OR3500 has obviously grown since I took it out of the water and left it to dry out whilst I was putting everything together in the new sump. So now I have a return chamber that is great for the smaller return pump but does not take my OR3500. Given that the new sump only just fits into my filtration cabinet (have about 15mm to spare each side) and given that I will only take the new sump part and try again as a last resort, I was wondering if it is possible to set up the OR3500 just above the return chamber and draw the water up to the pump? Really hoping that somebody says yeah sure - thats easy........

Kevin, i think thats going to be real hard, how would you prime it. But I might be wrong.

However I do have a suggestion.

why not turn th pump on its end (i.e. the impellor facing up) and add a 90 degree bend on the outlet.

Assuming it would fit like that

HTH

To easy - when you screw up you must to a good job to make sure that there are no easy solutions! Chamber is to narrow by about 6mm.

To easy - when you screw up you must to a good job to make sure that there are no easy solutions! Chamber is to narrow by about 6mm.

ouch sorry mate thats a K@k one

let me think:whistling:

And you say no space to drill a hole through the sump, the plump the pump in?

Break the divider, make a bigger sand bed and use a bucket as the last chamber.

Break the divider, make a bigger sand bed and use a bucket as the last chamber.
Just built the new sump to make the DSB bigger - that is where this all started!

No space on either side of the new sump - sits in a cupboard that has reinforced concrete walls and a reinforced slab over the top. That is why I was hoping that there is a way to put the return pump above the sump.

Just built the new sump to make the DSB bigger - that is where this all started!

No space on either side of the new sump - sits in a cupboard that has reinforced concrete walls and a reinforced slab over the top. That is why I was hoping that there is a way to put the return pump above the sump.

Dont put the bucket on the outside. Put it inside. Drain the new sump, pull it out the cupboard break the divider, put the bucket into the sand, and push it back in. This will be as effective as your last chamber, but will be circular and plastic

Plan of sump attached. The water depth in the sump is set at 380mm. The channel running from the end of the DSB to the start of the LR chamber runs on top of the divider between those two chambers.

Attachments

• Sump.kmz
    1.7 KB · Views: 102
Light bulb goes on!!! Thanks Sunburst. I will leave the smaller return pump in the chamber but put the OR into a bucket in the LR chamber. I owe you a beer or two!!

Plan of sump attached. The water depth in the sump is set at 380mm. The channel running from the end of the DSB to the start of the LR chamber runs on top of the divider between those two chambers.

I cannot open that file type

It is a sketchup file - only extension that I could find on the upload facility was the .kmz which is the sketchup 3D export format. Will try to convert it to jpg or something.

tried opening as sketchup no luck.

Try this

hit the file tab, go to export

export as 2D

and it will save as Jpeg

oops to late:)

nee d@nder,

a smaller pump?

Yeah thought of that but need the turnover that I get from teh 3500. Will try Sunbursts' suggestion and,if that does not work, I will be looking for something. Any suggestions?

I bought a RIO hyperflow pump from Andrew, they are considerably smaller than the OR pumps and they work fantastically well. If you want I can give you all the info on mine like flowrate and dimensions so you can see if it will fit or not.

I bought a RIO hyperflow pump from Andrew, they are considerably smaller than the OR pumps and they work fantastically well. If you want I can give you all the info on mine like flowrate and dimensions so you can see if it will fit or not.

Thanks, Sounds good Viper. Please send the info.

Wow, you must have one enormous gigantic sump - the attached plan opened up in GOOGLE EARTH :baffled:

:roflmao: :chatterbox: :chatterbox:

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom