Setting up a refugium.

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Creep, 19 Jul 2010.

1. Creep

Creep Ernst

Hi Guys.

Ive got a refugium but dont know if im managing it the right way or have set it up te right way.

Ive got 5cm of sugar fine sustrate.
    Few pieces of live rock.
    No lights. My ats lights give bit of light but not much as its over my dsb.
    No flow in the refugium self exept for a very small pump pumping water in the refugium. To my return Pump.

There is some very few small specs I assume its pods swimming around, and some bigger things looks like small jellyfish shaped creatures swimming around and sticking to the glass about less than 10 of them.

Orherwise noting else going on.

Is it fine this way?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boegie

Boegie

4. Creep

Creep Thread Starter Ernst

Thanx Boegie!

5. mandarin

mandarin

Is it true that when setting up a refugium one should not use the water direct from the overflow box but rather from a seperate pump inside the DT below the water level.

6. Creep

Creep Thread Starter Ernst

Dont think so. Im pumping water into my refugium from next to my retun pump. Then it overflows to my return pump chamber.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I would say the main reason is because the skimmer will miss all the detritus. The refugium can be fed from the return chamber in the sump and overflow back into the tank or back to the return chamber of the sump (like Creep did below). It is not always possible but the best would be if the refugium can overflow directly into the tank. This will minimise the pods and other critters feeding the tank from the refugium being chopped up by the return pump.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It can be done like that, I think you may be referring to an upstream refugium whereby the refugium sits higher than the display tank and a small pump feeds it from the display tank and then the refugium gently overflows directly into the main tank.

Recent Posts