Setting up a QT

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, Sick fish, QT, Coral help' started by Jamie, 13 Feb 2018.

1. Jamie

Jamie

Hey guys just need some advice/answers concerning QT tanks.

So I want to set up a QT and I just want to know how long I need to wait before adding fish. Will be mixing salt and RO so the water will be brand new. Should I add something from my established tank to the QT so it can get some bacteria in it or what? Surely it doesn't have to go through a full cycle?

Any filter media I need in there? And a skimmer?
    Will be dosing Cupramine.
    Thanks

2. Guest

3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

personally im looking at building a tank that sits ontop of my filter (like the old trickle systems) but instead filled and running with a aquaclear or cannister filter, there will still be a bypass and an overflow to uitilise the main tanks water for maturing the QT and when i add a fish to the system you can just shut a valve. if you need to dose you simply medicate and then drain the water out once the fish is well again. clean out the qt and reinnoculate the tank by filling back up with tank water and fitting the cleaned aquaclear!

Jamie likes this.
  4. Barlan

Barlan

you could probably get away with a hob filter, and some pvc for the fishies to hide in. Would also be handy to get an ammonia alert badge. If you know your main DT is disease free you can seed some of your hob filter material in there for like a month and then use that when you add the fish. Also remember to raise the copper level over a few days as to not shock the fish.

Jamie likes this.
  5. OP
    Jamie

Jamie

@leslie hempel that sounds like a really cool idea! Hope it works out, sounds pretty good to me. I'm however just looking at a very temporary system.
    @Barlan Thanks, only spare tank ive got is a boyu tl550 so im using that.
    As asked before should it cycle? Or should i just keep an eye on the ammonia for a few days then add the fish?

6. Barlan

Barlan

i think your best bet may be to pour some bacteria in a bottle over the filter media to get it going, and then just track the ammonia. if you need to do a waterchange just remember to make sure your have the right therapeutic level of copper in the water change water as well.

Recent Posts