Set up cost

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bill King, 15 Aug 2012.

1. Bill King

Bill King

I would like to set up a 1500 lit reef tank (L) shaped. The sump and all the other "goodies" will be in an adjacent room. What ball park price can I expect to pay for this?
    I realize cost depends on equipment fitted, so for a fully automated system what would be the upper limit?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Bill

For a system that size I'd say you're looking at about a minimum of 30-40k for a "basic" setup excluding livestock. It's hard to say what an upper limit would be because you can always add more toys. 100k should get you a very nice system with all the usual toys though.

4. 3dd

3dd

I would love a 100k system. that would be super cool, just imagine all the nice stuff :yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude::yeahdude:

5. Jayceew

Jayceew

Agreed here, tank alone could be up to R20k dependent on what type of glass and layout, stand around R3k, sump around R2k. Then you still need equipment and then livestock.

Live rock alone will be expensive, at around R100 p/kg you should get the idea!

Last edited: 15 Aug 2012
  6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you want all the bells and whistles for a fully automated system you are looking at way more than 100K.

7. DeanT

DeanT Dean

take your initial budget and double it , that is probably what you will end up spending in the end

8. Greg Bridger

Greg Bridger

I think my three foot is sitting at about 25k excl stock and I've still got my eye on a good few toys so I'd think at least 40k for a basic tank involving a lot of DIY

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Excluding live rock. The most expensive equipment are in no specific order

• Lights
    • Skimmer
    • Flow pumps
    On these you can go cheap - will upgrade later, or go full out from the start. Like the flow pumps, using cheap SunSun pumps, or expensive Vortech pumps. Nothing wrong with SunSun, they are cheap and do their job.

But at the end of the day, it all depends on what type of corals you want. SPS needs more flow, better light, cleaner water. Softies like pincushions needs less light, less flow and do not mind a bit of phosphates.

So, what type of corals do you want?

10. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Recent Posts